Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!

Forums  

Advertise with us
Advertise with us

All Forums
 Classic, Historic & Post Classic Motorcycling
 Future Race Meetings
 2004 Australian Historic Championships
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums  

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2004 :  7:09:10 PM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

Winton Motorcycle Club and Benalla Auto Club cordially invite all historic motorcycle enthusiasts to participate in/attend the 2004 Australian Historic Road Race Championships, at Winton Raceway (Victoria).
The event will be promoted by Winton Motor Raceway Pty Ltd under direction of WMC/BAC on 5th, 6th and 7th November 2004.
Practice will be available on Friday 5th November at additional cost to the normal entry fee.
Camping facilities will be available at Winton Motor Raceway (Victoria) for the duration of the event.
Please direct all enquiries to Winton Motor Raceway Pty Ltd on (03) 5766 4235.
Regs will be available on the internet at a later date ( see later postings)
Best Regards,

Is your machine authentic or merely eligible?

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2004 :  6:42:52 PM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

Got a question for you guys. I was talking to one of the event organisers in New Zealand the other day, about the possibility of riders coming to the CHampionships in November. This bloke mentioned to me that they can get about 25 bikes into a container. One thing though - in New Zealand Jap bikes are banned from historic racing. When some of the guys came to Australia a couple of years ago they brought Triumph Tridents and Rocket Threes with them, and smartly got blown to the weeds by the 1000cc CB750s. THE QUESTION - is it worth running a 1000cc Pushrod class as a support event at the Historic Championships?
Such a class could drag out a few Vincents and Harley Sportsters, but it'd give the New Zealanders a bit of a chance to compete on an equal footing.
Best Regards,
YOUR THOUGHTS WELCOME!!

Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2004 :  09:41:08 AM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

Alan, I have referred your qusetion to the Historic Management Committee to see if extra support for the idea can be obtained. What capacity are these machines?

John Daley Sidecar #68
' there are those who do, those who dont do and those who undo. We must lampoon the latter."
Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2004 :  7:22:12 PM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

John the capacities are usually 750cc (Triumphs and BSAs), 850cc (Nortons), but it could include 1000cc vincents and 883 harleys. The suggestion was made that 'heritage BEARS' might make up the support events, this would include the same machines but also bevel Ducatis. The 'heritage BEARS' is assessed individually along with the other BEARS formulas in events.
Thanks for your help.
Last year at Wanneroo the support events were P3 526-700cc Solos, and P4 526-750cc P4 Solos. I don't think that's the way to get a decent field to the grid. What do you think?

Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2004 :  9:38:57 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

I cannot answer as I dont really understand the solo classes, but I shall ask around?

John Daley Sidecar #68
' there are those who do, those who dont do and those who undo. We must lampoon the latter."
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2004 :  11:28:35 AM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

I have had some feedback, but a more detailed answer will follow.
Jap stuff is banned in Classic Period only.
The NZ Post Classic rules are very similiar to Australian rules where Jap stuff is not banned.
Period 5 dates in NZ go to 1982 whereas we have a 1980 cut off date.

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2004 :  04:26:18 AM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

I have suggested to Winton Motor Raceway, that four BEARS races are run at the Australian Historic Road Race Championships in November. This should give the guys with Brits and US bikes a chance to 'cross enter', and have another few rides. I think we will have time to include the races in the programme. - (Still talking to OZBEARS)

Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2004 :  7:59:26 PM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

Re: Whether we use the long circuit or short circuit at Winton for the Championships - nothing is 'set in concrete' yet. I've taken note that some of the guys don't like the long circuit, however I'll keep an open mind for a while. I'll be in contact with quite a few people over the next few months, and I want to hear what people like Rex, Rob, Ken/Guesty and Keith have to say.

Go to Top of Page

matcho mick
Advanced Member

New South Wales

570 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2004 :  12:16:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit matcho mick's Homepage Send matcho mick a Private Message  

Al,theres nothing wrong with the main circuit,it's has 3 sufficiently long enough straights,i concider the track a great equaliser,the big boys can't really stretch their legs and dissappear into the distance,theres always a corner to play catchup!,it's always good close racing,especially for the spectators,logistically that "extention" requires more manpower to control i think in terms of extra mashalls,also from a safty point(jeezas did i say that!) i think where it re enters the main tracks a bit iffy?,but having stated all this i have not ridden on it!,(just lucky i guess?),let the cars use it,(it requires no mental imput to go straight?)plus i believe the statement adding to the extra lap time taken will be a deciding factor in amount of racing,or laps per race is a very real problem,my 2 bobs worth,Mick
Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2004 :  09:57:17 AM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

I think you might be right about the extra lap time, being a deciding factor. The point about the big circuit is that we can get 55 onto the grid rather than 40 (for BEARS events) , but perhaps even getting grids of forty is overly optimistic.
I know what you are saying about being competitive with bigger bikes on the small circuit, I once led an allpowers C Grade Race for a lap on the 500cc Triumph there in the 70s. However I'd say one thing, if your bike isn't competitive with others on the large circuit, you are in the wrong competition class.
I know that you ride a 500cc Matchless, you shouldn't be competing with 650cc and over Triumphs and Nortons, it's an unfair contest!
Personally I like both circuits, and I've gotten used to the long circuit, however I can always do better on the short circuit with my machinery.

Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2004 :  4:24:44 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

Alan, I hope you have provided extra races for the sidecars. I reckon its time we got more. Also, can we have a suitable sidecar riders lounge set up, close to the pits. Also, we want the races at more suitable times. ie just after lunch, spread nicely so we can fit a sleep in if needed and not the last race of the day. If you can manage good track conditions for us that would be most welcome also.
While I'm at it what about 10 races for sidecars, put all the Solo classics together, spread the P4 and P5 out and find some prewar machines to fill in the gaps.

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2004 :  09:41:28 AM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

At the car historic meeting last November, I arranged for a wine tasting in the Corporate Centre for the ladies, and anyone not competing. Would that suit?
(We had La Cantina, and John Gehrig from Oxley present over the two days.)

Go to Top of Page

keith campbell
Level 3 Member

Victoria

248 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2004 :  3:31:43 PM  Show Profile Send keith campbell a Private Message  

G'day all,I suggest the "short" circuit for any Historic event.The spectators can see the whole circuit this way with the pits and amenities all in the "middle"of it.
Suffice to say the racing is MUCH better!
A suggestion about the newer pit buildings is to only allow entry to the circuit from the one place.Several near misses occured at one event i was at where 2 entries were in use creating quite a safety issue.
Last year at Wanneroo the circuit is aprox 2.2km so no need to include extra "drag strip" in my opinion,please consider and thanks,Keith
Go to Top of Page

Former Member
deleted

72 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2004 :  11:05:56 PM  

is this entry form able to be downloaded now?
what date do the entry's close?
thanks

There are those who do, those who used to do and those who never did..
why is this 3rd group always trying to convince everyone they know best?
Go to Top of Page

David
Site Administrator

Australia

999 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2004 :  06:42:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit David's Homepage Send David a Private Message  

If someone sends me a software copy of the entry form, I can place it online for others to download.

Regards,

David
Webmaster & Owner of Classic Motorcycling Australia

Quote: I thought I wanted a career, turns out I just wanted to be paid.
Go to Top of Page

David
Site Administrator

Australia

999 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2004 :  6:50:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit David's Homepage Send David a Private Message  

OK, has anyone got the Supp Regs for this event so I can start to give it out to people who are requesting it?

I have had a couple of requests and figure I can place it online for them to download it directly. Do you want to promote this event or not?

Regards,

David

Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2004 :  09:44:52 AM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

I suggest anyone with questions rings Winton Motor Raceway on (03) 5766 4235

Go to Top of Page

David
Site Administrator

Australia

999 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2004 :  10:06:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit David's Homepage Send David a Private Message  

So are you saying that Winton Motor Raceway do not want to give them via a media such as this site, Alan? I would of thought that they would jump at the chance to get more people there.

You and I know that people will not call STD as they feel there is enough money spent by them on racing. The main amount of enquiries have been from interstate.

Are you or the Winton Motor Raceway going to supply the Supp Regs or not?

Regards,

David

Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2004 :  12:04:24 PM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

The meeting is still four months away!

Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2004 :  1:36:20 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

David, it is my understanding that discussions about events and other details are still being continued. The supp.regs are not yet approved.

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

David
Site Administrator

Australia

999 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2004 :  5:27:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit David's Homepage Send David a Private Message  

Great, that is what I am after. Now I can tell the people that ask that they are still not ready. Why could it not be this easy when I first asked? (rehtorical question)...

Regards,

David

Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2004 :  6:10:51 PM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

The phone number for Winton Motor Raceway is (03) 5766 4235. Winton is manned from Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm.
I suggest it is not up to anyone else to comment on progress of meetings. (That includes mtself.)

Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2004 :  7:37:59 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

The Aussie Titles are treated differently from State Title events. There are discussions with Ma about new ideas that dont happen with State tiltes. It takes time. I normally dont have supp regs completed for normal meetings until say 3 months prior anyway so I guess the Aussie titles would be similiar anyway.

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

Former Member
deleted

120 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2004 :  10:15:45 PM  

People are getting a bit defensive here, are winton having some problems with MA getting there sup regs through?

Jayne
Go to Top of Page

Former Member
deleted

72 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2004 :  10:45:12 PM  

maybe comon sense should prevail and competitors should be able to enter on the day.
wouldn't that be great news for racers everyware.....

There are those who do, those who used to do and those who never did..
why is this 3rd group always trying to convince everyone they know best?
Go to Top of Page

David
Site Administrator

Australia

999 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2004 :  08:30:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit David's Homepage Send David a Private Message  

So does that mean that not even Mick Ronk should comment on the event?
quote:
Originally posted by acotrel

I suggest it is not up to anyone else to comment on progress of meetings. (That includes mtself.)
I believe that he owns the event and would also jump at the chance there Alan to get as much advertising as the sport possibly could.

You have stated in the past that there is not enough promotion of events and here we are trying to promote the event, and you are telling us to shut up about it. It just don't make sense there Alan.

I have spoken to a few people now via e-mail since yesterday and they are happy to wait until the Supp Regs come out, but if you don't want this site to promote the event, by all means, please let us all know.

Regards,

David

Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2004 :  10:55:19 AM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

David, I'm very happy for the site to promote the event. As far as comments are concerned about the running etc. of the event, they will have to come from Winton Motor Raceway, What John has said in his last post, is correct.

Go to Top of Page

Former Member
deleted

120 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2004 :  8:46:54 PM  

David, what do you mean by saying Mick Hone owns the event? I figured that unfortunatly MA owns the event, and I don't know who Mick Hone is.

Jayne
Go to Top of Page

David
Site Administrator

Australia

999 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2004 :  10:15:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit David's Homepage Send David a Private Message  

Yep, sorry about that, was thinking of other stuff at the time, and was informed by John D it should of been "Ronk".
quote:
Originally posted by Snoozer

David, what do you mean by saying Mick Hone owns the event? I figured that unfortunatly MA owns the event, and I don't know who Mick Hone is.
Sorry about that. I should really say that Mick R is the promoter, shouldn't I.

Mick Hone owns a bike shop here in Melbourne. I have even left my wreck with him after I was wiped out back in early '88. The old RG250... SOrry fot the confusion again.

Regards,

David

Go to Top of Page

Former Member
deleted

120 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2004 :  07:03:46 AM  

Still no entry available. Rang up yesterday and heard that MA threw the proposed entry back at winton coz it was all wrong and that the entry costs were going to be through the roof. I hope they get things sorted out coz a lot of people want to start organizing things. If winton cant do the entry shouldn't MA do it anyway, either way get it happening.

Jayne
Go to Top of Page

Alan
Forum Moderator

Western Australia

353 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2004 :  11:49:27 PM  Show Profile Send Alan a Private Message  

Has everyone given up trying to find out whats happening with this years championships?
As its now mid September and there is still no word from Benalla how on earth are clubs like ours supposed to get our selves organised. We have to get entries in, organise a container, travel car hire and accomodation. Its fine for Victorian based riders to fob people off with smart comments and I did take note that they come mainly from people who dont travel. Maybe they should try being based in the NT or Wa and see how they like being left hanging till the last minute.
We have around 14 people 20 bikes coming at present although this may change once they find out what the entry fees etc are and how many rides they will get.
Alan (sidecar 21)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums © 2000 - 2024 Go To Top Of Page
This page was put together in 0.98 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 by Classic Motorcycling Australia | Web design by: Greening Computer Services