Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!

Forums  

Advertise with Classic Motorcycling Australia
Advertise with Classic Motorcycling Australia

All Forums
 Classic, Historic & Post Classic Motorcycling
 Future Race Meetings
 Team Endurance
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums  

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2004 :  3:02:38 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

Would there be any support for this type of meeting. "Maybe we could run a meeting that has a 3 hour endurance with open slather on the machines apart from a stated capacity. The old 6 hour meetings had support because manufactureres sold bikes on the results.
But any meeting we run would have to gain support from other sources. Perhaps we could let them have a spare bike that can be swapped, and perhaps even rebuilt during the event. If you ran as a team like a relay race. Perhaps even club vs club. You mentioned earlier on the phone something about wearing a sash. With 3 or 4 bikes, 3or 4 riders and the aim being to get the sash in first place, with one bike of the team on the track at anytime. It could be interesting."

John Daley Sidecar #68
' there are those who do, those who dont do and those who undo. We must lampoon the latter."

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2004 :  5:26:37 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

From Alan Cotheral
"If you wanted to make the event 'historic endurance racing', you could have a cut-off date of 1985 for all major components except tyres. Limit tyres to 'treaded only'. No 'deltabox' frames.
The sash I referred to should be open with Velcro ends. Whoever the current rider is must wear the sash.
Teams racing has never been big in Australia, but the car guys use the sash idea. There's a bit of a safety problem controlling the change of riders/machines (with sash), but nothing that can't be overcome. 3 bikes/riders would be enough to make up a team and if the team represented a club or a business, that would be great!
The beauty of this type of event is that anyone can win, remember Joe Eastmure on the 315 Suzuki, in the Six Hour. "

John Daley Sidecar #68
' there are those who do, those who dont do and those who undo. We must lampoon the latter."
Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2004 :  8:40:22 PM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

John, Do you think Rex would build one of these?:
You must be logged in to see this link.

Is your machine authentic or merely eligible?
Go to Top of Page

popeye
Level 2 Member

Western Australia

187 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2004 :  08:33:58 AM  Show Profile Send popeye a Private Message  

FWOOOARRRR!!!!!

too bad I just sold the 750.

I would have my hand up for a jumper in a P4/5 CB350 team. The concept has some merit as a showcase (non-championship) event to elevate exposure to the general public.

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we may as well dance
Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2004 :  11:06:01 AM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

I can only remember a few two hour proddy races held at Calder years ago. They generated a lot of spectator interest, which I couldn't really understand.
The bikes run at Bol D'or, Montjuich and Suzuka, were often highly modified (like the Japauto Hondas). This sort of racing should really appeal to the guys with the big appendages. The Le Mans starts were really good fun. A lot of current road bikes were developed from Endurance Racers.

Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2004 :  12:45:06 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

Can you ask around your mates and see if they would put their hands up. I shall ring Rex and others I can think of, can others do the same and report back here. I need good support before starting to plan anything.

It could be a one day event, track costs would be $3000 for a Sunday, permits perhaps $1000 and ambo $225, so you can see why we need to get support up front before doing much. Timing would be a waste of money so you could save on that, but spectators would be the way to keep racing costs down.
Convince me there is a need and I shall work on it.
It may have to involve modern machines.

John Daley Sidecar #68

Edited by - john on 15 Jul 2004 12:47:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2004 :  5:52:15 PM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

John, We could run a 3 hour endurance race on the Sunday afternoon of a normal two day meeting. I cannot see any real reason to limit the machinery in any way. You'd need a way to identify the teams (like club colours tied to the riders' backs and fronts) and a velcro sash. It'd be worth trying on a club day first, just to get the problems sorted.
As far as determining who's interested, let's toss the idea around in this forum and in club newsletters. If you are serious about trying this, perhaps you should write to each MA affiliated club and ask what they think?

Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2004 :  08:28:18 AM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

I dont believe we need to write to every club.
There are many people who read this site, they can comment if they are intrested and enthusiastic. In my experience writing to clubs has a very limited benefit, it would cost about $400 and you may not get a reply. Using this site costs time, and you still dont get responces but you have saved the doish.
People have to be prepared to say, "That sounds good" I'll try it.
Unfortunately we have found that silence is the greatest noise, and when we run a new successful event, its amazing the number of times I here, " I should have gone to that "
Feedback is wonderful, it does not take much effort, but it can spur a humble secretary along.

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2004 :  11:30:16 AM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

Shouldn't cost you $400 to write to Hartwell, Sandringham, Preston. You are probably right about not getting responses. When I've written to these clubs the letters have never been answered, and that makes it difficult to do anything constructive in motorcycling!

Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2004 :  2:22:49 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

"If you are serious about trying this, perhaps you should write to each MA affiliated club and ask what they think?'
Al, you made this suggestion, thats why I quoted $400.
ANyway, lets wait until others show their hand first.

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2004 :  6:39:10 PM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

John, The idea is still a bl**dy good one! If I can help - please ask! (especially if there's anything Winton Motor Raceway can do, I know Mick was interested in this concept)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums © 2000 - 2024 Go To Top Of Page
This page was put together in 0.92 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 by Classic Motorcycling Australia | Web design by: Greening Computer Services