Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!

Forums  

Advertise with us
Advertise with us

All Forums
 Classic, Historic & Post Classic Motorcycling
 Future Race Meetings
 Tim Barber - Feb 2006
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums  

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2004 :  4:45:23 PM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

I believe there have been moves initiated in NZ, to bring a container load of Tim Barber's bikes to Australasia in February 2006. Apparently Tim has the best collection of historic bikes in the US, including MVs and an AJS Porcupine.
A bit depends on the success of meetings later this year, however an attempt may be made to encourage Tim to cross the Tasman, and run at meetings in Australia in Feb, or March 2006.
The question is - what meetings do we expect to be held at that time?
I am at Winton Motor Raceway on Wednesday mornings each week. Anyone who wants to contribute info can ring me there on (03) 5766 4235.

Is your machine authentic or merely eligible?

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2004 :  08:11:05 AM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

bob blythes sydney meeting feb. 209
historic broadford feb. 20

John Daley Sidecar #68
' there are those who do, those who dont do and those who undo. We must lampoon the latter."
Go to Top of Page

matcho mick
Advanced Member

New South Wales

570 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2004 :  11:17:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit matcho mick's Homepage Send matcho mick a Private Message  

jeezas 5@#%$ing2 weekends in the year,and again we have conflicting historic meetings,victoria who's chain are you jerking now!!
ps incase foot is in mouth again over typo error (Feb 209?)i do apologise
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2004 :  08:34:03 AM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

We picked our date 15 months ago. Bob did not have a confirmed date 2 months ago from what we can glean.
The bottom line is few plan 12 - 18 months in advance, like the HMRAV does, because they are trying to fit in with the cars F1 race, V8 tin tops for track dates and all sorts of other things like Mothera day, fathers day, Anzac Day, Sidecar memorial Day, the list goes on for dates people do not want to race on. At the moment even Phillip Island has not confirmed the Isalnd Classic dates. Then there are superbikes and GP bikes around the world that people want to avoid as well. We also have noise free weekends at Broadford and other clubs, carries, pushbikes,go karts all trying to get dates.
So really everybody else needs to get of their dates and plan much further ahead, as the HMRAV started to do 18 months ago.
As for jerking chains.... not interested. The Historic Broadford meeting is a sprint meeting with sidecars of all eras, cars to 1950 and solos till 1980. Based on the responses to previous sprint meetings we reckon we would be lucky to get 20 - 35 machines only and 80 cars. So it will not be a big draw on historic bikes.
PS Currently we have been asked by another club to give them the Feb 20 date in exchange for Feb 13 because they prefer that date for the Vic Championships, so we are still planning as I write this.
Dont worry Mick, if everybody else just did as we told them there would be no problems, aint that right!!!

John Daley Sidecar #68
' there are those who do, those who dont do and those who undo. We must lampoon the latter."
Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2004 :  8:23:21 PM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

Sorry Mick, I didn't mean to stir you up.
John, you are aware of the reason I asked you about the dates in Feb and March 2006. As far as I am concerned, it's a matter of forward planning, and that's something we don't seem to be good at.
I suggest the Tim Barber thing is worth putting a bit of effort into.
Who do we need to speak to to get some coordination? Is it MA?

Go to Top of Page

Patrick
Level 3 Member

Victoria

314 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2004 :  9:05:51 PM  Show Profile Send Patrick a Private Message  

two penny worth from Broadford!
HMRAV via John D. has brought a fresh approach to calender date setting and some of the other clubs who use the venue are now starting to take notice.
With eight tracks or circuits we have an interesting time. We can hold four events at the one time and it is not rocket science to keep things progressing well.
Because in the order of things we are very small beer we get dicked around more than our bigger brothers waiting as John says on the V8 taxicabs to get their bookings in then around November some form of order starts to form up with the bike races etc. Same applies to MX/SX and to a lesser extent Speedway/DirtTrack.
Because we are often last in the chain for so called titles etc. we have gone out and attracted new users for the Road Circuit and in years to come will not have to roll over and change dates at the whim of others.
As allways my time my thoughts - Patrick
Go to Top of Page

matcho mick
Advanced Member

New South Wales

570 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2004 :  10:10:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit matcho mick's Homepage Send matcho mick a Private Message  

ah more infomation!,sprint meeting,3& 4 wheelers!!,thought i was missing something special?,you know it's my pet hate when major historic meets are too close together,tyranny of distance,unsympathetic spouse etc!,dead right too Patrick,slim pickings after the taxi cabs have their say,although Eastern creeks capacity to double book is an interesting distraction for promoters,main historic racing dates have been reasonable stable up here,(oran park aside)so good luck with your sprint meeting in feb John,(chains suitably tensioned?)
Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2004 :  11:03:22 AM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

In the car world, there are more opportunities for historic cars to compete than ever. With the advent of AASA, cars which would normally not get a run can compete (without CAMS log book in some cases). Some cars which normally compete in Sports Sedans events are being changed back into historic (Group N Toranas and GT Falcons) because thay get more runs.
The new circuit at Ballarat will mean even more racing.
As far as bikes are concerned, it can only help us. The bigger the interest in historic racing generally, the more interest there will be in specific areas (such as ours).
Motorcycling is a relatively cheap alternative, and the actual racing is really BETTER than car racing, if we can get the types of events we run set up to give fairly equal competition.
I believe there is a new era coming in historic racing, and we will be part of it.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums © 2000 - 2024 Go To Top Of Page
This page was put together in 0.8 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 by Classic Motorcycling Australia | Web design by: Greening Computer Services