Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!

Forums  

Advertise with Classic Motorcycling Australia
Advertise with Classic Motorcycling Australia

All Forums
 Classic, Historic & Post Classic Motorcycling
 Future Race Meetings
 Clash of Meeting Dates
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums  

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2004 :  09:16:55 AM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

I notice the Master of Mac Park, and The Southern Classic are on the same date this year. Also the Stars of Tomorrow and the Australian Historic Road Race Championship are on the same date (5th 6th 7th November).
What's the story?? There are 52 weekends in the year. Are there actually 54 motorcycle meetings in Australia in a year? I don't think so!
Who is responsible for organising the calender? Why cant we get our act together and arrange the calender so that we get minimum clash of dates?

Is your machine authentic or merely eligible?

popeye
Level 2 Member

Western Australia

187 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2004 :  08:44:47 AM  Show Profile Send popeye a Private Message  

Seems like it could be a good time for the organisations involved to get together and set out a calendar with the interests of the sport at the forefront and parochial and personal preferences left outside (I wish)

The Mac park meeting has been bought forward due to track improvements during the summer but may remain a spring meeting out of consideration for the track surface and its reaction to the modern classes at that meeting (track temp in October averages a lot lower than December, therefore more stable and less prone to damage).

I would hope that the opportunity presented to get machines set up in early October (Meetings in SA and VIC) would flow on to a ripper Aust. title meeting in November.

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we may as well dance
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2004 :  10:37:11 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

Last week I wrote on behalf of the HMRAV to the Mt Gambier club.
At Easterbn Creek I this weekend, 14/ 15 August, where I raced I was informed by a SA member that the Mt Gambier club were told of the Southern Classic but still chose that date. I dont know how we will ever get clubs to plan 12 months ahead as we have been doing. There are issues that I know nothing about involved. At the end of the day the better run meeting will pull the riders.

John Daley Sidecar #68
' there are those who do, those who dont do and those who undo. We must lampoon the latter."
Go to Top of Page

Patrick
Level 3 Member

Victoria

314 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2004 :  10:19:56 PM  Show Profile Send Patrick a Private Message  

Sometimes I wonder if the guys who made sure that the gauge of the railway lines were different in each state have not infiltrated the setting of the M/C events calender!!
My email and phone # is public knowledge but it is very hard to find out who calls the shots at the various tracks.
Anyone out there who cares ? please send me the various track contacts so we can get something going before we have all the Historic events on the first weekend of October!

Edited by - Patrick on 18 Aug 2004 10:32:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

popeye
Level 2 Member

Western Australia

187 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2004 :  08:12:22 AM  Show Profile Send popeye a Private Message  

is the first weekend in October gazetted as a public holiday in VIC, that is only long weekend within a workable time frame that Mt. Gambier had. Because it is a mixed roadrace event and a round of the State Championship (moderns) there would have been a large amount of input from outside interests.

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we may as well dance
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2004 :  08:43:15 AM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

That weekend is not a public holiday in that weekend.
WE have always had the S/ Classic in the first half of October subject to getting shifted around by Winton to accommofate car races. Since the move to Broadford where the interests of Bikes comes first we dont suffer the indignity of being shunted around.
WE moved to the first weekend because nobody anywhere in the known world had that date. We could also put some distance between us and the GP which swings around also.
We heavily promoted the date for 12 months prior to last year and continually since last years meeting we have promoted the 2004 event. If clubs do not pick up the phone or look at a web site there is no way they are going to find out. If they sit around a table as say " this happennned 2 years ago .... lets do this, check with some body.... no need" then I dont know how we will prevent date clashes. The HMRAV must be the most heavily promoted, on the web etc meetings in the country. I have no idea how I can help to a greater degree.We havew even set up a site You must be logged in to see this link. for clubs to talk but few use it, perhaps they could star. Ideas are welcome.

John Daley Sidecar #68
' there are those who do, those who dont do and those who undo. We must lampoon the latter."
Go to Top of Page

Former Member
deleted

72 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2004 :  10:53:48 PM  

John, we already knew the S/Classic was on the Oct longweekend(in S.A.) and planned to come over to race there.
the guys at Mac Park are holding a mostly 'modern' meeting so the historics probably didn't even come into their decision at all, plus they are working around some major track modificatons so that would also have had something to do with their date choice.
But now we had to chose between that 'one off' race and the 1st of 3round S.A. championships...
it really sucks that we have to chose at all.
these 2 tracks are fairly close together, in distance and actual track style.
the 2 tracks could ge together and hold a 'summer series' Interstate Challenge for SA and VIC bikes, modern and historic.
say a 2 race series held over 3 weeks with points added up to determan the " Mexican Champion"

There are those who do, those who used to do and those who never did..
why is this 3rd group always trying to convince everyone they know best?
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2004 :  07:33:11 AM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

worth a thought. Can you come up with some operational plans and scoring. I believe all sidecar races should get double points.

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

popeye
Level 2 Member

Western Australia

187 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2004 :  6:03:22 PM  Show Profile Send popeye a Private Message  

What is the start grid maximum at Broadford ????? need to work out points apportionable to allow all competitors to contribute to their respective state's tally.

Because it would be non-championship, classes could be split into under 500/over500 period 3,4 and 5 road based bikes which gives us 6 races, sidecars for the seventh and then under350/over 350 GP all periods for events 7 and 8.

Too simplistic or what........next contributor please.

Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2004 :  9:36:11 PM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

Popeye, Period 5 should be split into up to 350, and over 350 - anyway it's a good idea

Go to Top of Page

Patrick
Level 3 Member

Victoria

314 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2004 :  10:10:41 PM  Show Profile Send Patrick a Private Message  

quote:
Originally posted by popeye

What is the start grid maximum at Broadford ????? need to work out points apportionable to allow all competitors to contribute to their respective state's tally.

Because it would be non-championship, classes could be split into under 500/over500 period 3,4 and 5 road based bikes which gives us 6 races, sidecars for the seventh and then under350/over 350 GP all periods for events 7 and 8.

Too simplistic or what........next contributor please.

Last Interclub had 41 on the grid for the final - great race! that must be the max.
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2004 :  08:03:13 AM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

We run P5 upto 600 and then over 600.
Sounds different lets see how you develop it.
Maybe we could connect the S/ C and the proposed new Master of Mac park when they move it back if we cant get new race dates.

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

popeye
Level 2 Member

Western Australia

187 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2004 :  09:27:43 AM  Show Profile Send popeye a Private Message  

If the dates are out of conflict the two meetings could have a points table overlay of those who compete in both meetings (nothing like state pride to increase the entries) and one winner take all trophy.

The decision on the future dates for the Master of Mac Park will be decide after this years meeting taking into account entries, ambient/track temperatures and other data.

Go to Top of Page

popeye
Level 2 Member

Western Australia

187 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2004 :  09:34:08 AM  Show Profile Send popeye a Private Message  

Guys/Gals,

will post future ramblings on this subject under the "Interstate Challenge" subject header, sorry for taking this one off topic.

Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2004 :  2:23:27 PM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

Popeye, the one 'winner take all trophy' has got a lot to recommend it. It would be good to know who the Australian Historic Motorcycle Champion is! If it was done on a points basis regardless of 'periods', we could have one winner who would be globally recognised!

Go to Top of Page

popeye
Level 2 Member

Western Australia

187 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2004 :  5:46:11 PM  Show Profile Send popeye a Private Message  

wrong take there Al,

I was referring to a state against state championship with all competitors earning points for their respective bailiwick, every one gets to play and incentive is provided for the more seasoned competitors to assist the lesser lights.

As you may or may not have guessed, I dont go in for "king of the castle" Used to get my kicks more out of the Trans-atlantic match races and ISDT when I was a kid than who was world champ.

My efforts will be directed towards producing workable team oriented points table , any and all input will be appreciated.

Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2004 :  9:02:10 PM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

Popeye, Teams racing has never been big in Oz, but I see where you're coming from. A good partisan following would be excellent for getting spectators to meetings.
It would be interesting if we ever got to the stage similar to Paolo Pileri with his team at the Laverton meeting in the seventies. The guys actually helped each other win by slipstreaming etc.

Go to Top of Page

Former Member
deleted

72 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2004 :  01:52:19 AM  

perhaps the meetings could be like a re-creation of the old 'Swan Series" for historic bikes and sidecars?
i think a summer series of 2 or 3 races held a few weeks apart would be good, as long as the tracks are close together and even better if they are a similar layout.

There are those who do, those who used to do and those who never did..
why is this 3rd group always trying to convince everyone they know best?
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2004 :  4:04:46 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

We could get some sidecars out there in a solo race to run blocking tactics, would anybody notice.
Seriously Popeye the idea is looking good. I sahll respond on your new topic location

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums © 2000 - 2024 Go To Top Of Page
This page was put together in 0.91 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 by Classic Motorcycling Australia | Web design by: Greening Computer Services