Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!

Forums  

Advertise with us
Advertise with us

All Forums
 Classic, Historic & Post Classic Motorcycling
 Future Race Meetings
 2004 Historic Champs Winton
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums  

keith campbell
Level 3 Member

Victoria

248 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2004 :  1:46:15 PM  Show Profile Send keith campbell a Private Message  

Hi all just wondering what further info (any) is coming about the titles. Will we be able to camp,see a band ,have tyres fitted,etc?
Entry forms,practise day? Accommodation reccommended? Places to eat?
It would all be helpful for interstate competitors etc............

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2004 :  3:43:09 PM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

Keith, the 'see a band' thing - we're looking at whether we can put one on at the Vic, and we believe there could be one at the North Eastern. I'm going to check whether we can get the club courtesy busses to run out to the camping ground at Winton. For accomodation -Tim Vibert might still have something available at Winton Rise, give him a ring on (03) 5722 3346. - More Later, Al

Is your machine authentic or merely eligible?
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2004 :  4:51:52 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

the Winton Rise, is that the camping ground at the back of the circuit Al? I think the name will catch on sounds good. You could always roll start the bike down the hill in the morning.

John Daley Sidecar #68
' there are those who do, those who dont do and those who undo. We must lampoon the latter."
Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2004 :  8:40:46 PM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

If you jump the fence in front of the cabin you will be between turn one and turn two. You can see the cabin and the house from the start line on the short circuit. Tim Vibert owns the army tanks you might have seen over the fence. He also runs a fairly fast Jaguar (does 1 min 43 on a good day on the long circuit)

Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2004 :  8:43:15 PM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

Winton Rise is next to the new gates to the circuit on the old Hume Highway.

Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2004 :  08:24:36 AM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

At Eastern Creek last weekend, I was challenged many times by irate competitors who wondered why the National Champs were not happenning and why had not my club, the HMRAV, done something about it. I had to remind everyone that the HMRAV were not organising the champs. A CAR CLUB was and that MA and the BEnalla Auto Club were the people to ask that question of.

John Daley Sidecar #68
' there are those who do, those who dont do and those who undo. We must lampoon the latter."
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2004 :  08:27:14 AM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

I have been told the Car club has submitted a proposed set of supp.Regs and MA is reviewing them as I write. Providing they comply with the requirements and spirit of a National Historic CHampionship I guess they will get through.

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

Former Member
deleted

120 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2004 :  3:02:08 PM  

Thats good news John, the old man rang MA last week and got told nothing had arrived and they wern't even sure if the winton mob were still interested. It'll all come to late anyway, lots of people are already going to the island. Why dont you guys run all your Vic title races at either broadford or the island, at least they'll be organized by people who know what a bike is.

Jayne
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2004 :  3:59:41 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

Thanks Snoozer, we do run the Vic Titles at Broadford now and with the resurfaced surface and improved facilities it should be even better. There are those who dont like Broadford but as a club we have decided to support the track we partially own so our money is used to continue to improve the centre instead of providing money for circuits that spend it making caries happier.
Vic Titles March 19 / 20 2005 from memory. I shall keep you posted.

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

steve
Level 2 Member

Queensland

86 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2004 :  8:07:32 PM  Show Profile Send steve a Private Message  

Hi All
I don't understand how a car club got the MOTORCYCLE titles over every other Motorcycle club that wanted them!! What is the process for picking the lucky club that gets the Aussi titles in their state. I always thought it went to a different state each year!! & around Australia so every 6to7 years it would be in your home state!! does this happen or is it who's crawls the most.
Steve
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2004 :  10:39:52 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

It was Queensland's turn to hold them this year, but Qld did not show any interest.
HMRAV was encouraged to make a bid which we did.
MA chose a car club.

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2004 :  03:32:24 AM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

To say that the Historic Motorcycle Championships are being run by a car club is not strictly correct. Benalla Auto Club, and Winton Motorcycle Club have reciprocal rights (both own the Winton circuit). The front company is Winton Motor Raceway Pty Ltd. This company runs about twenty meetings per year and is competent to do this. It has a permanent staff of seven people, maintaining the raceway and five of whom are engaged full time in promoting and running meetings. About three weeks ago the V8 Supercar meeting brought 37,000 spectators to the raceway over three days.
(How many people do you expect to want to watch the Australian Historic Championships in November 2004?)
Winton Motorcycle Club has about 50 members, some of whom also race cars (some of the Benalla Auto Club members also race bikes). Membership of the Winton Motorcycle Club costs $80 for anyone who wants free admission to all events run by Winton Motor Raceway Pty Ltd (it costs the same to join Benalla Auto Club), $50 if you just want to race bikes and attend the ride days.
For your information, preparation for the Australian Historic Motorcycle Championships has fallen on the busiest time of the year at Winton. The meeting will still be conducted efficiently. Both car club and motorcycle club members will be involved, as well as paid staff members of Winton Motor Raceway Pty Ltd. Anybody else who wants to volunteer to help on the weekend of November 5th, 6th &7th, please ring Heather Wallace on (03) 5766 4235 - all help cordially invited. (

Go to Top of Page

steve
Level 2 Member

Queensland

86 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2004 :  1:03:48 PM  Show Profile Send steve a Private Message  

Hi John
To my understanding Queensland did show interest!! it was 25years this year!! that the club has been formed, & throught it may be a draw card for the Historic Titles. We did have a few hassels last time "99"?? & didn't get the go ahead until 2 weeks before the event!! the submissions were put in the year before!! so a few people said never again!!if we are treated as so. But the Local modern sports Club did apply for the Titles with our best wishes (this is what we were told!!) "Is this true Queensland didn't show any interest!! as I would like to know who's telling porky's. What I heard was 5 or 6 clubs wanted them & still went to "Vic" & a Auto club!! I still cannot understand that still!! I have no doult the Winton Auto car will do a good job of it!! I'm not saying that!! What is the process!! & how do MA make the decision & if this process is available to clubs to give them the best chances with the Titles.
The thing I would be interested in, is over say 10/20years where & when did the different states "Get the Titles" "My thoughts Only"
Steve Qld
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2004 :  1:31:35 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

Steve, it is my understanding that the Titles move around ona loose arrangement. I may get details later.
The 2004 were due to be in QLD.
As Secretary of HMRAV I was asked in about mid 2003 would we be interested in making a submision because at that stage Qld did not seem interested.
I do understand now that subsequent to our intial expression of interest, dates are guess's, late 2003 I heard that Qld had startred to think about making a submission, but we were asked to continue with our submission.
At the last moment we then heard that Benalla Auto Club had been awarded the Champs, I guess about Nov. 2003
The process involves MA approval of the Supp Regs and there are set requirements and fees to be provided for, number of races, bikes to be catered for.

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2004 :  09:26:18 AM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

OK I am going to be the Bunny.
Are we actually going to have a 2004 Australian Historic Champs meeting this year.
Many are heading elsewhere, officials are being booked up, accommodation normally is booked by now.
BENALLA AUTO CLUB can you tell us whats going on ? .

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

Alan
Forum Moderator

Western Australia

353 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2004 :  9:57:18 PM  Show Profile Send Alan a Private Message  

While agreeing that details of arrangements are taking far too long to come out and the office at Winton Raceway are not being very forthcoming with information when phoned I must take issue with Steve of Queensland whois either new to the sport or hasnt taken the time out to find out how things work.
The true answer regarding Queensland is that they were contacted on three occasions by myself with the support of the Historic Road Race Commission and David White CEO of MA trying to encourage them to apply to host the Championships this year and they declined due to (their words not mine) the lack of a suitable track, indifference within their club and a lack of willing assistance from senior members probably due to their difficulties in 1999.
For future reference MA sends out early in the new year a memo reminding interested parties to apply for the right to host the following years National Championships, this happens at about the same time as they invite persons to apply for positions on the various Comissions.
Steve you have an ex Commissioner within your ranks, Mr Ron Newitt, who would be able to give you more insight than I can in a reply here.
We should all treat MA as an ally rather than the enemy if we want to get on and make our sport the fantastic experience it really is.
Alan
WA sidecar21
Go to Top of Page

steve
Level 2 Member

Queensland

86 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2004 :  12:57:09 PM  Show Profile Send steve a Private Message  

Hi Alan
Your right!! I have only be racing old bikes for 15 years & motor-X, dirt track etc etc for about 20years before that I'm a young one for sure. I'm one of the slack buggars that leaves it up to everyone else to organize things & than complain about it. The tracks here in Qld are a problem & only have 1 track approved by MAQ to road race on. The Historic cars folks had there meeting a few months ago & the cost of track hire was over $20, which counts out most local clubs, but with the problems last time (99)can you really blame the senior members too run it again!! But the modern sports motorcycle club to my understaning had applied as it was there 45th year running events!! Yes I know Ron & he was a Offical last week-end at our Club meeting & maybe if I had more time would have talked to him about whats happening here in Qld. I have no problems with MA all I want to do is ride my old bike around & around but I'm finding it harder every year because of the different MC clubs around Australia getting the blunt end of the stick when they want to run events. If you look around you see lots of racers not racing in there chosen sport because of the the crap throw at them over the years.
Steve
Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2004 :  7:43:11 PM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

Regs for the 2004 historic championships have been released and are available from Winton Motor Raceway on (03) 5766 4235. They will be on the Winton Raceway website from Monday at You must be logged in to see this link.
I know it's been a long time coming - it's been heavy going getting agreement on certain issues - sorry, however we have a meeting going ahead. Hope to see you all there!! We'll try to give you a good time.

Go to Top of Page

Allan
Site Moderator

National

599 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2004 :  09:38:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Allan's Homepage Send Allan a Private Message  

is it a bears meeting or historic meeting??

Allan Greening
Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2004 :  8:25:29 PM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

It's an HISTORIC meeting, there are four support races and a couple of practice sessions for BEARS out of a total near 40 over three days. If you've got a British, American or European bike you can get an extra few rides. THe BEARS races are part of the WRP Bridgestone National BEARS Series.
Note : There are several New Zealand riders with P3 and P4 bikes that will get competitive rides in BEARS. They've been here before with 750cc Rocket 3s and Tridents, and been blown to the weeds by Rex etc. The BEARS races means there is actually something here for them, and a reason to come!

Go to Top of Page

Patrick
Level 3 Member

Victoria

314 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2004 :  9:28:08 PM  Show Profile Send Patrick a Private Message  

[quote]Originally posted by acotrel

It's an HISTORIC meeting, there are four support races and a couple of practice sessions for BEARS out of a total near 40 over three days. There are several New Zealand riders with P3 and P4 bikes that will get competitive rides in BEARS. They've been here before with 750cc Rocket 3s and Tridents, and been blown to the weeds by Rex etc.

Yep Historic Racing is alive and well in Awestructinfailure:- been a long day - sorry

Edited by - Patrick on 18 Sep 2004 9:42:32 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums © 2000 - 2024 Go To Top Of Page
This page was put together in 0.95 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 by Classic Motorcycling Australia | Web design by: Greening Computer Services