Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!

Forums  

Advertise with Classic Motorcycling Australia
Advertise with Classic Motorcycling Australia

All Forums
 Classic, Historic & Post Classic Motorcycling
 Future Race Meetings
 No sidecars Island Classic 2005
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums  

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2004 :  11:12:25 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

Last Feb. I reported an observation that unless sidecar teams took responsibility for promoting their section of motorcycle racing they would slip into oblivion.
I was abused for the comment.
Tonight I have been informed that of the 280 entries at the Island Classic, there are 8 sidecars. PIMS have advised they will require 20 machines prior to including them again. At the moment even I am not entered as I am behind in rebuilding a motor. But one entry should not be the difference between the outfits continuing to race.
I have been told that entries from sidecars will be returned.
It is not pleasant reporting such a situation and I guess some others will be pleased to see the demise of them because I have spoken so openly about my support of the sidecars.
I often wonder how such things develop, grow and die.As an administrator I am disappointed to realise that most participants sit back and do nothing for the sport, some tell us where we are wrong in a gleeful manner and others expect the volunteers to do better whilst not being prepared to contribute themselves.
Yes I am upset because the activity I have enjoyed for many years and has given pleasure to many spectators for the same time is on the way down because of apathy.

John Daley Sidecar #68
' there are those who do, those who dont do and those who undo. We must lampoon the latter."

Edited by - john on 21 Dec 2004 11:04:22 AM

Alan
Forum Moderator

Western Australia

353 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2004 :  11:48:40 PM  Show Profile Send Alan a Private Message  

John, Good to see you posting again, I wondered where you had gone. The Island Classic has lost a lot of its popularity in recent years especially with sidecars. Like you I find it disappointing and did intend entering myself but for various reasons I just cant make it this year. As we from WA have a round trip of close to 6000 ks it costs us a lot to travel in both time and money and although I do want to ride the Island one day I wish to attend national Championships and cant afford to do both. Thats my excuse for what its worth.
Cant imagine whats going on with the local guys though, **** if I lived in NSW, Vic or SA you wouldnt be able to keep me away.
Maybe it isnt the Island Classic thats at fault, we only had the bare number at Winton for the nationals and the year before no one travelled to WA and we only just scraped in with local riders. It could just be that for financial and/or political reasons we are in the doldrums at present.
Lets wait and see if anyone else responds. Maybe its time Snoozer had her say she is supposed to be married to a sidecar rider.
Its time you fixed your bike though, an engine rebuild is only a couple of weekends work.
Lets hope things improve real quick.

Alan sidecar 21 WA
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2004 :  08:14:35 AM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

I am not blaming the Island for the situation.
We are working on the bike, but my business needs me at Xmas and my money jar has broken. We hope to have it going soon.
I wonder overall if we need to promote sidecars on a stand alone site and push them as occurs overseas. We did start a small one to help newcomers and perhaps it can be revised, I may try after Xmas. Can anybody volunteer to help moderate it.
here is the link You must be logged in to see this link.

John Daley Sidecar #68
' there are those who do, those who dont do and those who undo. We must lampoon the latter."

Edited by - john on 22 Dec 2004 09:03:11 AM
Go to Top of Page

trumpybob
Level 2 Member

New South Wales

29 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2004 :  11:37:58 PM  Show Profile Send trumpybob a Private Message  

I'm upset to hear what Phillip Island are doing, I know sidecar guys who have arranged and paid for accomodation already,It only takes 6 outfits to costitute a championship sidecar race, so surely 8, even if combined classics and post classic is worth running,how can we attract more competitors if there aren't any races,If anyone has any influence with the Phillip Island people I hope they will try to change their minds.I have e-mailed them today.

Racing is everything,the rest of the time is just waiting
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2004 :  01:02:02 AM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

I too have had a few calls about booked accommodation. Its a pity we did not get a call first but them again how long to you drag the rope before somebody picks it up. Sidecars need to get on with some promotion and the pity of it is that we do provide enjoyment for a lot of spectators.

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

trumpybob
Level 2 Member

New South Wales

29 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2004 :  11:07:53 AM  Show Profile Send trumpybob a Private Message  

Just had a phone call from Phillip Island to confirm what John has said, the outfits have been dropped from the program,return cheques are going out tomorrow.Subject to approval by Fergus,any sidecar entrants who would like to change their entry to a solo,( a friend of mine can do that with a quick engine change) will be allowed so long as there is still room in that class. Apparently some of the forgotten era classes are at capacity. My commiserations to the sidies I for one will miss them.

Go to Top of Page

trumpybob
Level 2 Member

New South Wales

29 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2004 :  11:22:19 AM  Show Profile Send trumpybob a Private Message  

forgot to mention anyone wanting to change from sidecar to solo entry just has to ring 'Karina' on 0359 522 710 and she will organise it.

Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2004 :  5:02:26 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

GOOD NEWS

We have negoitiated a reprieve. As long as we get at least 14 outfits on the track Fergus will let us race. We need to know by Wednesday Morning if you will enter. We already have picked a couple up and need a rider for one machine.
Late entries will be acceppted. So Please consider and ring Max on 0418 179 609.
I can arrange accommodation for any sidecar team that needs it in Cowes at a mates house. But ya must bring your sidecar.

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

trumpybob
Level 2 Member

New South Wales

29 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2004 :  9:20:19 PM  Show Profile Send trumpybob a Private Message  

If my solo licence allows me I will put my hand up to steer an outfit if required, since I'm already entered on a solo it might be considered to be one extra machine and consequently cheaper

Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2004 :  4:08:55 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

We got up to 13 outfits but unfortunately nobody rang Max on the number I gave and rang my answer machine. We had to have the advise to PI by Tuesday evening, I cleared my answer machine about an hour ago on Thursday too late.
In the mean time I had a message from Max Hooper that the sidecars are off the program for 2005.
I would like to thank allthose who tried to change the result, Ron trounson, Max Hooper, Alan Kidd who manned the phones to Warren Johnson who was going to bring down his second bike, John Dawes in Wagga,Lex in Qld all of whom tried to get things happenning. It is up to the sidecar teams to work together to improve our numbers, they tried but ran out of time. Well done.
So now we head to a new year with a focus on going racing and taking the steps necessary to achieve that. I can say I found a few new machines coming to the track for 2005 so we have more to do.
Please dont bag anybody over the issue for any longer, we need to focus on the future now.

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

trumpybob
Level 2 Member

New South Wales

29 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2004 :  5:23:56 PM  Show Profile Send trumpybob a Private Message  

John, Warren Johnson was told by Phillip Island that they would make a decision in a few days(this was yesterday) and wouldn't take any late entries officially till they decided, have you had official notification that they have made that decision,or is there still some confusion

Go to Top of Page

Alan
Forum Moderator

Western Australia

353 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2004 :  6:19:22 PM  Show Profile Send Alan a Private Message  

John, Bad luck this time but at least the effort was made and the end result entry wise is at least encouraging and may lead to better entries in the future. Maybe a wake up call is what was required.
I would personally like to thank John Dawes who agreed for me to ride his bike and assist with accomodation at the Island. This alone shows the spirit is alive and well even if there isnt enough of it yet.
Lets all work together now and make sure that we have enough entries for the Nationals and put the doubters in their place. Even if it is Tasmania and it can be a bit expensive to go down there, think of it as your annual holiday and probably the only chance you will have to race there.

Alan Sidecar 21 WA
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2004 :  11:09:53 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

Trumpy Bob, I reported what Max told me today and Max was the designated person to talk with PI, because I was away from Sunday until Wednesday and we needed to get back to PI by Tuesday evening.
I have not heard from PI direct.

John Daley Sidecar #68

Edited by - john on 30 Dec 2004 11:11:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

trumpybob
Level 2 Member

New South Wales

29 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2004 :  11:30:17 PM  Show Profile Send trumpybob a Private Message  

fair enough john, thanks,wasn't trying to grill you just wondered who had got the latest info' even though I don't ride an outfit my friends do, I would really like to see this turn out right, Its a worrying precedent, who's next,unlimiteds,or the lightweights,hmmm

Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2004 :  07:50:24 AM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

Thats OK Trumpybob, I realised there may be a cross over of timing and info.
Its a good point to note that maybe some small solo classes could be next. Perhaps this point needs to be made clear to everybody.

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

Geoffpgrant
Level 3 Member

South Australia

204 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2005 :  11:05:57 PM  Show Profile Send Geoffpgrant a Private Message  

Boy am I pissed off!!!

I had no idea there was any drama because I have not been able to get on the net until tonight. Why couldn't PI contact those of us who had entered and tell us there was some doubt about racing so that we did not go ahead and book accommodation?? I paid for my accommodation last week!

And as for demanding 14 entries when there were only 13 it sounds the same as what the Cafe Racers have done to us here in SA. It did not matter how many sidecars we got out there they always wanted one more! Now we are not even on the program.

I would be willing to bet there are some of the solos who don't get 14 entries for their classes so have they been cancelled too??

I know that, as you say above, we can do more to promote ourselves but I always thought that MA and venues like PI are supposed to promote the sport of racing not destroy it!

Having let off steam, can I now say a big thankyou to those of you who tried to get some more entrants in. You did a magnificent job.

Geoff
Sidecar #30 SA
Go to Top of Page

Alan
Forum Moderator

Western Australia

353 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2005 :  11:22:56 PM  Show Profile Send Alan a Private Message  

Adding to Geoffs final paragraph I would like to thank John Dawes who was going to let me pilot his outfit around for him he also offered to let me share his accomodation if I had any difficulty finding something. It is this spirit that ensures sidecars will never die. Sure we have a problem right now and it is not limited to Historics, Moderns are having similar issues. We do as John and others have pointed out need to get off our butts and try to increase our numbers.

Alan Sidecar 21 WA
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums © 2000 - 2024 Go To Top Of Page
This page was put together in 0.86 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 by Classic Motorcycling Australia | Web design by: Greening Computer Services