Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!

Forums  

Advertise with Classic Motorcycling Australia
Advertise with Classic Motorcycling Australia

All Forums
 Promotion Area of Historic/Classic/Post Classic
 Future Race Meetings
 Tera Challenge
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums  

racer7
Level 2 Member

67 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2005 :  7:56:07 PM  Show Profile Send racer7 a Private Message  

With some of the disgruntled MA members on this forum, who's going to the TERA Challenge at Hidden Valley Darwin over the June long weekend? It's a 'Black Meeting" free entry to Interstaters, just Insurance to pay. And they're a great bunch!
racer7

Alan
Forum Moderator

Western Australia

353 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2005 :  8:42:16 PM  Show Profile Send Alan a Private Message  

I would love to go but as I am still trying to get on the Commission it wouldnt be a wise move for me.
You are right though its a terrific meeting and the guys up there are great hosts. What a pity they cant get their track licenced it would be a great venue for a National Championship.

Alan Sidecar 21 WA
Go to Top of Page

Former Member
deleted

48 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2005 :  9:23:04 PM  

Be careful at Hidden Valley. Things have changed a lot since all the trained officials walked out after the last challenge.
Go to Top of Page

racer7
Level 2 Member

67 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2005 :  08:07:21 AM  Show Profile Send racer7 a Private Message  

Hi Garry
Why did all 'Trained' Officials walk out?
Two of us from NQ went last year, and all seemed pretty well organised and all seemed happy and helpful. Officials and Competitors. Plenty of flaggies, well organised grid, etc. Probably a political thing (?), but as 'my' Club's highest ranked MA official, I have refused to have any more to do with the local racing due a 'spoilt brat' attempting by hook or by crook to race an illegal machine. What went down well with me was the flaggies applauded each and every rider at the end of every heat. I know there is an issue with run off on turn 2 (?), but I'm aware of it, and slacken off just that bit so as not to go wide there. Having been to the IOM, it's a non issue in my opinion.
Racer7
Go to Top of Page

Former Member
deleted

48 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2005 :  7:49:35 PM  

A lot went on down at the dummy grid which was away from the riders view. The club's race secretary/scrutineer objected to the way the meeting was being run when a bike left a large pool of oil (15cm) at the grid line up and the bike was sent back to the pits to be repaired and re-scrutineered. The club started arguing to let it on the track leaking as "he has come all the way from Perth". It was repaired but fronted next event still leaking and was again stopped. Third time repaired it was allowed out with a foam pad in the fairing.

Another incident was their objection when a rider was pulled up for Stopping in the middle of the straight, U turning into the pits and riding the wrong way back to his garage.

After the event at a meeting to discuss these and other issues the club's solution was to change the Clerk of Course duties to exclude him from making any decisions.

All the flaggies were CAMS trained and the grid, starters and C of C MA licence holders and so walked out.

So the warning to be careful. Race meetings now are run with four or five untrained flag marshals. Wrong flag signals etc. One marshal was seen to leave his post vacant and cross to the infield to chat with a rider. Another spent the day looking the wrong way through his camera lens. One meeting was even held without an ambulance in attendance. And for myself I don't consider a bar in the middle of the pits appropriate no matter how well a race meeting is run.

By the way, no one here thinks the turn two issue is relevent. The club only tried to licence the track to obtain cheap public liability insurance and strung MA along until they got a better deal from their own provider. MANT were quite upset.
Go to Top of Page

Alan
Forum Moderator

Western Australia

353 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2005 :  11:07:29 PM  Show Profile Send Alan a Private Message  

Just to clarify one point from the above postings. The rider accused of having the oil leak was in fact from South Australia not Western Australia. The rider from SA did have a small oil leak but the major spill was actually caused by a rider from the NT on a much more modern machine.
All that aside it will be a pity if politics ends up spoiling what has been regarded as a well run and fun meeting.
The other issue of course is the statement that "the club" was using MA to get a better deal from the local govt. If it is true then it is very unfair to those of us that thought that TERRA were trying to get affiliated and the track licenced by MA so we could ride there without any periferal issues.
Anyway thats my say and if it is all true then I am deeply disappointed.

Alan Sidecar 21 WA
Go to Top of Page

Former Member
deleted

48 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2005 :  08:31:58 AM  

I should have mentioned the rider involved with the oil leak in the pits was very co-operative with officials and concerned about leaving oil on the circuit. His beef, and one of mine too, is that the scruitineer was informed and asked to check the machine but didn't.

I should point out too that the committee involved with the track licencing is new from the last couple of years. I was as dissapointed as anyone else and that is one of the reasons I resigned my membership of TERRA.

Yes, previous TERRA Challenges were well run and safe. That is because they were run by MA officials and had the support of the committee. Now their idea of a successfull race meeting is judged by the amount of profit from the bar in pit garage one.

Just checked report from the meeting Alan. The modern bike you refer to lost coolant in the pit form up area.

Edited by - n/a on 23 May 2005 08:45:57 AM
Go to Top of Page

racer7
Level 2 Member

67 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2005 :  7:26:13 PM  Show Profile Send racer7 a Private Message  

Hi All
Oooh Dear..A hornets nest!
I had no idea all this was going on!
And I didn't see the Pub in the Pits! Must get new Specs!
I just enjoyed the attitude of the 'Officials' involved, a guy going home to fetch a plug apanner for my CB500, a lovely lady coming around selling cold cokes, and the flaggies clapping us.
I didn't see an Ambo, true. Maybe if one was needed..? But the lure of the sound of some of the old classics, Grr - Grr, my 500 with it's smooth quick revving, Wharr - Wharr, the smell of Castrol R from someone... Geezus I'm getting/ got old!
Sort it out guys, you give us Old Fellas a reason to keep going!
Racer7
Go to Top of Page

Alan
Forum Moderator

Western Australia

353 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2005 :  10:47:22 PM  Show Profile Send Alan a Private Message  

My sentiments exactly, get the politics sorted out, get the club back on track, get the track licenced and lets have a National Championships in the NT.

Garry I think you need to have a chat to the SA rider and hear his side of the story, he claims he actually rode into a pool of oil that a rider had previously dropped which was pretty stupid to say the least. But he claims he wasnt the initiator of the problem.

A more important issue is to sort out the future though rather than dwell on the past. We have met on a couple of occasions and from where I sit you and several of the past committee need to either stand up and be counted or need to organise some new blood who think along the lines of the old guard. Your club and the Terra Challenge used to be held in very high regard by our club members and it would be a shame to lose that.
Its time you got that sidecar out and put someone on it as well. FYI we now have 3 Suzukis running at Wanneroo, none of us can catch those bloody Hondas though.

Alan Sidecar 21 WA
Go to Top of Page

Former Member
deleted

48 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2005 :  12:17:43 AM  

I did have a talk with him on the day Alan. I left the tower and sought him out in the pits to try and get him back on the track.

The first time he was virtually pissing oil at the form up grid. Two marshalls saw it leaking from his bike. The second time he fronted it was just dripping oil so the head marshall asked what to do and I again refused him access to the track. I then left the tower and saw the rider in his pit. The drip was from oil still remaining in the fairing and we decided he could ride if he put foam in the bottom of the fairing. He said at the time it was his oil and that was all in a report with his words quoted. Anyway I'm not saying he did anything wrong over the incident but the club did by demanding he should be on the track leaking oil as "he has come all the way from....."

As for a track licence. That idea has gone and there is not may left who thinks along the lines of the old guard. Supermotard is seen as the future for the club and half the TTC weekend is devoted to that now.

PS Alan. I follow the results in your monthly newsletters. Congratulations on your State Championship placing.

Edited by - n/a on 24 May 2005 12:20:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

racer7
Level 2 Member

67 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2005 :  10:06:00 PM  Show Profile Send racer7 a Private Message  

Hi all
Disappointing to know this 'stuff' went on.
Donna remembers a bike going up the Pit entry the wrong way, a SA entry. I know they'd pushed the thing up and down all day to get it to go. Can't remember what it was. As for excluding the Clerk of the Course, you've got to be kidding! At one meeting I rode at, due to a chassis breakage, apparently I lay on the track for 5 laps unconcious whilst a flaggie stood over me with a yellow flag, and the racing continued around me! The CoC allowed the racing to continue! Scary. And this CoC was MA Licenced Level 3 !
I found out about it the next day in hospital when I came to. Scary or what?
I guess I'll take it easy, and hope to hell there's qualified Ambo's there! What a pity, as it's a great track, and deserves to be back on the National calender. With an air fence or two for the really quick guys.
racer7
Go to Top of Page

Alan
Forum Moderator

Western Australia

353 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2005 :  10:06:08 PM  Show Profile Send Alan a Private Message  

Gary,
I will check with my source and get back to you on that one it looks like I could have been given a bum steer if so I apologise. I will get back to you by email so we dont clog up this site with this issue.
Back to your club situation though, there is probably no reason why you cant co exist with Motard, the MCRC down here did a couple of years ago but the track owners put a stop to it but the concept did work ok.

Alan Sidecar 21 WA
Go to Top of Page

racer7
Level 2 Member

67 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2005 :  8:40:46 PM  Show Profile Send racer7 a Private Message  

So what happened to my last post?
racer7
Go to Top of Page

Former Member
deleted

48 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2005 :  12:00:17 AM  

You didn't click on the delete button by mistake? Near the edit button.

Go to Top of Page

David
Site Administrator

Australia

999 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2005 :  07:25:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit David's Homepage Send David a Private Message  

Or put it in another topic by mistake, because it was not deleted by me.
quote:
Originally posted by racer7

So what happened to my last post?
racer7

Regards,

David
Webmaster & Owner of Classic Motorcycling Australia

Quote: I thought I wanted a career, turns out I just wanted to be paid.
Go to Top of Page

racer7
Level 2 Member

67 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2005 :  7:33:13 PM  Show Profile Send racer7 a Private Message  

OK
Well a week tomorrow, we leave for Darwin. Really and truly, I so enjoyed 2004, I have spoken about it to all and sundry in our Club, the TMCC. So we have from several RS125GP's, TZ'ds, ZX2-R, Aprilla RS's, VFR's, CBR250's going and my RC181 Replica. I hope if it's half as good as last year, the guy's will be happy! We had one guy who bitched about nothing last year, but he complains about everything anyway! If there're any TERA guys reading this, you've got something good going, don't let B/S or Politics "feck" it up! Got a bike that's not right, get it fixed! We travel 2700 Kms to be there, pay mega bucks for petrol in the western sticks, sleep in dongas on the way there, and still come. 2 last year, 12 this year. Would I like my shares to grow like that!
racer7
Go to Top of Page

jvdairlie
Level 2 Member

Queensland

48 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2005 :  11:44:29 AM  Show Profile Send jvdairlie a Private Message  

Hey racer7.

Just 5 sleeps to go.

JD
Go to Top of Page

racer7
Level 2 Member

67 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2005 :  7:35:53 PM  Show Profile Send racer7 a Private Message  

Well, the TERRA Challenge run and won! Guys from South, racing modern bikes, and a a couple from SA. A BSA, not sure exactly, but with a blue plate, a 350? And the Kennedy Matchless with my RC181 Replica. There is no doubt (hangs head in humbleness) my Hailwood Replica was a lot better, brakes/ motor/ handling. Had a few 'Tuning' problems. After a major tank slapper,(caused by riding two bikes with different shift patterns!) on the last lap I noticed my left knee had knocked the choke on! Chased like hell, but couldn't quite make up the deficit. A great Meeting, a credit to the guys of TERRA, and all 12 who went this year from Townsville, will be back in '06. Ambo's present, all flag positions manned, scrutineering as per MA, and major support from NT Motorcycles, who were at the track, and discounting bits for Racers. Also 'Baxters', the newly appointed Kwaka Agents were supporters and extremely helpfull. I suggest that next year, as many as possible support a great bunch at a great track!
Bless you TERRA!
racer7
Go to Top of Page

racer7
Level 2 Member

67 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2005 :  2:19:23 PM  Show Profile Send racer7 a Private Message  

"At one meeting I rode at, due to a chassis breakage, apparently I lay on the track for 5 laps unconcious whilst a flaggie stood over me with a yellow flag, and the racing continued around me! The CoC allowed the racing to continue! Scary. And this CoC was MA Licenced Level 3"
The above I believed correct, as my Partner witnessed it, and 2 competitors from the race visited me after my being released from hospital verified it. The CoC phoned as well,and apollogised for NOT red flagging the race. Now I understand that the Race Secretary Red Flagged the event immediately Only told this on 1/10/05!
Now I'm confused, but I'll go with what my partner says happened! If she's wrong, well it was 3 years ago!
Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2005 :  5:05:31 PM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

The Draft 'Guide to managing risk in motor sport' is available for public comment from Janes.Thomson@standards.com.au
I think some of you guys should read it. It outlines your 'DUTY OF CARE' in detail.
If someone gets wiped out while you are mucking around, one of you might have to put your hand up for it in front of the coroner. If there's gross negligence involved, there's a manslaughter charge waiting for someone. The least that might happen is the insurance costs would escalate.
Might pay to check with your insurer what conditions apply to the meeting, and what's the promoter's responsibility.

Is your machine authentic or merely eligible?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums © 2000 - 2024 Go To Top Of Page
This page was put together in 1.02 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 by Classic Motorcycling Australia | Web design by: Greening Computer Services