Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!

Forums  

Advertise with Classic Motorcycling Australia
Advertise with Classic Motorcycling Australia

All Forums
 Classic, Historic & Post Classic Motorcycling
 Future Race Meetings
 SOUTHERN CLASSIC 2003
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums  

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2003 :  08:31:50 AM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

Supp regs are now available from either club secretary, race secretary or down load from You must be logged in to see this link. documents section.

John Daley Sidecar #68
' there are those who do, those who dont do and those who undo. We must lampoon the latter."

David
Site Administrator

Australia

999 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2003 :  5:21:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit David's Homepage Send David a Private Message  

Got the following today in e-mail:

The Silver Anniversary running of Australia's Longest running all Motorcycle Historic Road Race is being held at Reg Hunt Park Broadford on 4/5 October 2003.

We are privileged this year to have Reg Hunt attending to present the Trophies.

Entry forms are now available at You must be logged in to see this link. or The Hon. Sec. HMRAV. 184 Through Rd. Camberwell. Vic. 3124.

HMRAV is an Amateur Non-Profit Community based Organization and greatly appreciates any help that you may be able to give.

Thanking You in Anticipation

Richard Frank
Media Liaison HMRAV.

Regards,

David
Webmaster & Owner of Classic Motorcycling Australia

Quote: I thought I wanted a career, turns out I just wanted to be paid.
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2003 :  6:34:51 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

Camping is premitted at the site, we have on site catering and bar for after hours and a list of off site accomodation if you want something different just ask.

John Daley Sidecar #68
' there are those who do, those who dont do and those who undo. We must lampoon the latter."
Go to Top of Page

keith campbell
Level 3 Member

Victoria

248 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2003 :  12:11:17 AM  Show Profile Send keith campbell a Private Message  

G'DAY TO ALL AT HMRAV.I AM GETTING GEED UP FOR ANOTHER GREAT MEETING AND AM WONDERING IF A FRIDAY PRACTICE IS GOING TO BE ON B4 STHN CLASSIC?
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2003 :  10:57:41 AM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

the club is not organising the practise but it is available directly from Broadford phone 5784 4163

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2003 :  09:26:44 AM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

Fuel is not available at the circuit

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2003 :  1:04:49 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

Just keeping everybody posted. We about 105 solos and 15 sidecars entered for the event. The on site caterers will provide a roast dinner if you book with them on Saturday. Friday camping is permitted and we shall have a sausage sizzle to cater on Friday evening. I have anecdotal advise that many different froups are talking about attending as spectators. I am nervous about it because if we have none I will look silly and if we have heaps we may get trouble because of bad planning. So we are hoping we can deal with what ever number turns up as spectators. The caterers have backup help planned, the car parking can accommodate anything and we can handle last minute entries. More sidecars would be better, but I can only hope. If you can help wih anything at the circuit in terms of car parking , etc drop me a line . Thanks

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

keith campbell
Level 3 Member

Victoria

248 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2003 :  09:53:10 AM  Show Profile Send keith campbell a Private Message  

120 entries is fab.congrats to all concerned and heres hoping for a great meet see you all friday keith.
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2003 :  07:22:25 AM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

It looks like good weather will be around, late entries are still coming in. Some pit sheds are still available at $35 see the race secretary of the day. If you have a bike suitable for the static display, bring it along.

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2003 :  7:24:36 PM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

John,
Good luck with your meeting at Broadford. I believe my brother Dougy Cotterell is having a ride on the speedway there on the same weekend - should be worth watching. The 750 Kawasaki goes very hard.
Sorry I won't be there, I've become involved with a bunfight and a race meeting at Winton.
Best Regards,

Is your machine authentic or merely eligible?
Go to Top of Page

Former Member
deleted

63 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2003 :  6:25:46 PM  

Just my summary of Saturdays racing.
Much improved on past efforts with the post classic and period 5 being treated as equal with the classics.
Trade stands and swap meet a good addittion.
However no grid positions for todays racing makes for confusion and aggression on the grid as riders have a warm up race on the warm up lap.
As for me finished the first race 6th and started the 2nd race from the 4th row because I do not like warm up lap races.
Surely the grid can be settled by race results or most people in the offical positions know who the fast guys are and should grid accordinly. Not perfect but better than the confusion and 5 or 6 bikes on 1 row and then the wait while they argue who is going to be pushed back.

TA
Go to Top of Page

David
Site Administrator

Australia

999 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2003 :  6:43:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit David's Homepage Send David a Private Message  

I hoe you are getting photo's there Trev.. I was going to head up to the Southern, but thought that it would be better to be alive after the week-end, with it being the wife's birthday and all. So went the smart move.

If anyone is taking pictures, could you please send me a copy of them to put on the site?

Regards,

David
Webmaster & Owner of Classic Motorcycling Australia

Quote: I thought I wanted a career, turns out I just wanted to be paid.
Go to Top of Page

Former Member
deleted

16 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2003 :  9:57:57 PM  

Attended the Southern Classic on Saturday as a spectator so I know nothing about the grid problems mentioned by Trevor.

But I must say the bikes were the best prepared and presented I have seen for a long time at a historic meeting and the dramatic increase in crowd numbers was great to see. I think the HMRAV is on a winner with the format they have for the meeting this year.

Ahhhh I love the smell of castrol R in the morning !!!.

RonG
Go to Top of Page

Former Member
deleted

63 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2003 :  7:05:24 PM  

Even better today. Grid posistions made it so much easier on everyone, riders & officals.
Great crowd, good atmosphere, efficent marshals and officals and not to mention the great racing.
Well done to the HMRAV.
I will be back next year.

TA
Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2003 :  03:18:31 AM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

I'm told Dougy Cotterell won five sidecar races at the speedway meet, held in conjunction with the Southern Classic. Apparently he was 2 sec. faster per lap than the modern speedway sidecars.

Go to Top of Page

keith campbell
Level 3 Member

Victoria

248 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2003 :  10:15:45 AM  Show Profile Send keith campbell a Private Message  

what a great weekend i had and am sure all others did as well.the gridding mishap on sat was not a problem for me on sat with riders being respectful of their positions in the races i was in.obviously an area with room for improvement at any other meetings though.the scrutineering on sat morning was a bit more of a hassle.at other meetings i have entered scrutineering cards are sent back with entry passes,pit bay numbers,and anything else(dinner/drinks/bbq) or whatever else may be on offer.this approach is only a suggestion but may be worth considering where in supp regs you are told to turn up @ what time, with bike ,leathers,and scrutineering card all at once with two lanes 1 for bike and another consecutive line for licence,program,(entry momento's),etc all checked in one area in one hit.like i said yesterday i love my racing and once again congratulate all of you who make it happen for the rest of us.seeing Brendan and Heinz were there are they involved with any of the "systems" with regard to running the meet as i have dealt with them at Hartwell and they have always seemed to be in control and un-flappable when the blow torch is on.do they perhaps have some info they can share as to better streamline the event "systems"in place at hmrav meets? i am not wanting to step on toes here and am only "talking"on the site for others to also comment on their ideas also.again i congratulate all of the committee and hoardes of others that support the running of all events and expect that with this years success at crowd numbers that the future of running races at broadford at the very least with x-lent proximity to melb. that events can only grow!!!!
one more thing.can race results for all events conducted over the weekend be posted on line,thanks again keith
Go to Top of Page

Allan
Site Moderator

National

599 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2003 :  10:39:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Allan's Homepage Send Allan a Private Message  

Classicmotorcycling.com.au has a section Free to all to post race results! if they are pc generated they only have to post or download to the site and all race times etc will be posted !

Allan Greening
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2003 :  1:55:25 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

Tahnks for the feedback. I belive we have fixed the gridding and timng issues after discussions with the time keepers. They can program to suit the mixed classes etc. The Scrtineering cards being sent with entries is interesting and worthy of implementation. The other notes I shall read when not so tired and we will try and learn from them. I hope to be able to have available lap times for everybody soon and the results are being collated by Liz and I shall try and get them up but it may be a while cos I need to get the business rolling. We feel we have done quite well and have already commenced planning for next year. Any requests, ideas or suggestions are very welcome

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2003 :  2:40:53 PM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

Congratulations John and all HMRAV members on what was obviously a very successful Southern Classic. The Australian Historic Motorfest was also a resounding success at Winton. Let's hope we can run on consecutive weekends next year so we can all go to both meetings.
Sorry I wasn't able to come to Broadford to see what you achieved. Looks like historic racing is facing a really positive turnaround.
Best Regards,

Go to Top of Page

keith campbell
Level 3 Member

Victoria

248 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2003 :  7:51:00 PM  Show Profile Send keith campbell a Private Message  

cheers John and i am sure you can do with some rest.good luck with the rest and can also offer the club a venue for a xmas party at the pub should such a venue be required for any type function , thanks again keith.
Go to Top of Page

Former Member
deleted

174 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2003 :  11:45:44 PM  

Just a short message to anyone who didnt attend the Southern Classic,you missed out on a fantastic weekend!
A big,big,big pat on the back should go to all of HMRAV and all the interstaters for coming over and putting on a top weekend of racing.
I was more than impressed with the spectator turn out as I got to view the crowd from various marshalling points.
Lets hope we can get more to the Vic Champs in November as it will only benefit us as a club,the sport of motorcycling and the township of Broadford aswell.
My partner and I will be out over the next few weeks,travelling on my trusty CB750/4 and CBR600 getting info out to the surrounding country towns about the event.
Hope others can do the same

Regards
Neill

Its not what you ride,Its how fast you ride it!!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums © 2000 - 2024 Go To Top Of Page
This page was put together in 1.55 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 by Classic Motorcycling Australia | Web design by: Greening Computer Services