Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!

Forums  

Advertise with us
Advertise with us

All Forums
 Classic, Historic & Post Classic Motorcycling
 Future Race Meetings
 SOUTHERN CLASSIC 2004
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums  

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2003 :  09:05:30 AM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

John,
How about holding the Southern Classic on the second weekend in October next year. The Australian Historic Motorfest is held at Winton on the first weekend, and if the Australian GP is on the same weekend next year it will be the third weekend.
I believe we all want to run meetings to coincide with the long week ends interstate. Perhaps we should be more looking at what will keep New South Wales and South Australian riders/tourists in Victoria for a couple of weeks on holiday.
For the week before the AGP and the week after, there are thousands of motorcyclists travelling through Benalla. Perhaps we should try to encourage them to stay a little longer, and spend their dough. It would certainly give them good value. Perhaps October could become 'speed month' in Victoria. If we get ourselves organised perhaps the Vic. Govt. events crew will help us.
Best Regards,
Alan Cotterell

Is your machine authentic or merely eligible?

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2003 :  2:54:51 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

Alan, we had better reveal that we have been talking privately about this idea for a while. The idea does have merit, but because the GP date swings around a bit and it comes out later than other dates it may be a problem. We picked the first weekend in October to get riders from NSW and SA travelling to race. But as I have said previously lets keep thinking we may get a solution. But the real problem is getting the sidecars out to race, solve that for me and I may work on the committee to change the date!!!

John Daley Sidecar #68
' there are those who do, those who dont do and those who undo. We must lampoon the latter."
Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2003 :  6:09:29 PM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

Does anyone know someone in motorcycling who would be willing to spend 40,000 big British pounds to bring 15 InCA riders out here next year? If we can find some dough, might be a goer.

Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2003 :  07:46:33 AM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

Lets deal with the gridding,the car park and the marshalling points before we try any massive tasks. Personally there is noway I am going to work my butt off, to hand money to somebody else. If they want to race here let them pay like the rest of us until we know there are profits in it for us first. I think we should wait until we know how to get bigger crowds,manage the venue and get more local riders etc first.

John Daley Sidecar #68
' there are those who do, those who dont do and those who undo. We must lampoon the latter."
Go to Top of Page

Former Member
deleted

30 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2003 :  07:51:19 AM  

quote:
Originally posted by john

Alan, we had better reveal that we have been talking privately about this idea for a while. The idea does have merit, but because the GP date swings around a bit and it comes out later than other dates it may be a problem. We picked the first weekend in October to get riders from NSW and SA travelling to race. But as I have said previously lets keep thinking we may get a solution. But the real problem is getting the sidecars out to race, solve that for me and I may work on the committee to change the date!!!

John,
Next years GP date is well known, and has been available for about 2 months. Next year (2004) the Australian Grand Prix will be at Phillip Island on 15/16/17 October.
Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2003 :  2:21:04 PM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

John, I wasn't asking you for money. I am really want to find someone interested in motorcycling, who would possibly be able to invest in a meeting. An insurance company like the old Swann Insurance would be great. If anyone has contact, please ring me on (03) 5762 6737 .
Best Regards,

Go to Top of Page

Former Member
deleted

120 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2003 :  10:39:10 AM  

Why bother with INCA? Theres only a handful of them that are actually any good and they ride mega dollar 2003 bikes that even you winge about. The rest of the INCA fields would get cleaned up by aussie riders. Why give them a free holiday when the money could be better spent here.

Jayne
Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2003 :  10:13:00 AM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

What can you suggest as an alternative draw card which can be used to bring a crowd to a historic meeting?
InCA is now a World Championship. As far as Aussies beating most of the field - let's see you do it. I was told by one rider that at Eastern Creek the other year the guys 'didn't see which way they went'.
I don't usually whinge about Andy Molnar Manxes, I think they're the best thing since sliced bread. The Ray Berry Manx is one of the best bikes I've seen in years.
What I do believe is that a four valve Jawa in a Seeley frame would probably beat them. The only eligible motor cheap enough to run would be a two valve Jawa, and I doubt we could get it going fast enough.

I don't know about the 'free holiday', the price is still to be negotiated.
I believe it would be great to get them over here and CR*P on them.
Interested in your ideas about what we could 'better spend the money' on.
If you can think of a better way to promote the sport, I want to know about it, and so does Mick Ronke!

Go to Top of Page

matcho mick
Advanced Member

New South Wales

570 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2003 :  12:15:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit matcho mick's Homepage Send matcho mick a Private Message  

why don't you get in contact with Bob Bligh in Sydney,(he's gone nearly broke 3 times bringing inca to Eastern creek)the New Zealanders had to rewrite their rules to allow them to compete at Pukehkoe,(their rules are more strict than ours!!)personally i think you would benifit more from having buckets race,they seem to bring a crowd attached!, as for money spent,all i heard on the radio all weekend was the historic cars at winton,not a peep about sth/classic,even on thursday driving down station was talking it up!,maybe thats something to budget for next year?,also speedway next door,pity track dosen't have lights for a nightime meet,instead the spectator base is split again,(cars,bikes& speedway)all on the same weekend,hopefully some one will look at the numbers on that?,on that theme was spectator numbers up on previous years at winton,personally i like broadford setup better,more interaction than everyone buggering off overnight as at winton,(must make the locals(accomodation) happy though),just concentrate on bigger,brighter next year guys?,cheers Mick.
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2003 :  3:10:26 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

Mick Spectator numbers were well up, we cant do much about splitting the crowd, we both want the long weekend and the Winton Car show Date predates the new Southern Classic. We can work on Radio stuff but dont have the bucks to go over the top. Good idea though!We are working with Speedway to create a Twilight meeting with council permits to run late. Camping is obviously a bonus and we are looking to improve competitor numbers in 2004.

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2003 :  10:32:58 PM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

John and Mick, Winton Motor Raceway Pty Ltd is a seven days, 364 days per year business that employs 5 full time staff solely on running the two clubs, hiring out the track and promoting meetings. It has the only fully club owned circuit in Australia, and it must make a 'profit' to survive. I worked on the historic car meeting two days per week for the last three months.
I suggest that at some time HMRAV should come to an understanding with Winton about running meetings, and possibly use the company's professional services.
The advertising on TV and radio is a part of every major meeting.
Benalla Auto Club/Winton Motorcycle Club is in the background of Winton Motor Raceway Pty Ltd, and own the company. It exists purely to run Winton, and promote meetings there and elsewhere.
I suggest YOU work it out, and decide what deal you want.

Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2003 :  12:08:11 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

Alan, I think everybody is aware of the benefits Winton have to offer.Your quote "I suggest YOU work it out, and decide what deal you want" suggests there is a problem with something. I am not aware of any matter we have to work out. At the moment HMRAV believes the same weekend Winton runs Historic cars is also a good weekend for entrants to the Southern Classic. We need to use Broadford because Winton is not available. I guess over time the increased use of Broadford will assist with its development as a motorcycle only circuit, just as any additional use of Winton will assist with track improvements.
Since we have moved to the earlier weekend, opportunities to work with other disciplines have arisen and we need to look at that point also. Moving our date is out of the question with Bathurst and the MotoGP looming most years. So I think we have things worked out for the time being.

John Daley Sidecar #68

Edited by - john on 14 Oct 2003 07:21:57 AM
Go to Top of Page

matcho mick
Advanced Member

New South Wales

570 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2003 :  10:03:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit matcho mick's Homepage Send matcho mick a Private Message  

i agree John,long weekend seems to be the best option,there is nothing big meeting wise happening in nsw around this time of year,so no clashes there,maybe the nat titles over in Perth kept some at home saving themselves for it instead?,Sth Classic has traditionally been a good draw card for interstaters,(allowing for that it was a bit closer at winton for most?)being a long weekend overcomes this easily,i think it will progress,next year should prove your efforts worthwhile!,cheers Mick
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums © 2000 - 2024 Go To Top Of Page
This page was put together in 0.8 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 by Classic Motorcycling Australia | Web design by: Greening Computer Services