Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!

Forums  

Advertise with us
Advertise with us

All Forums
 Classic, Historic & Post Classic Motorcycling
 Future Race Meetings
 Hill Climb / Sprint at Broadford
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums  

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2004 :  1:31:47 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

On the You must be logged in to see this link. web site I have broadly detailed a new concept of a meeting with the Austin 7 club at Broadford. I am not trying to hijack this site but keep the details on one site with comments welcomed here. Its called Crazy idea. Please get talking etc because it could be good fun. It is deliberatly limited to the small cars and P4 machines for the first one, simply so we can learn how to manage the whole event. A proposed date is Cup day 2004 but anything can change at this stage. The circuit is already approved from years back for a sprint meeting with CAMS we need to get approval for bikes to do the same.

John Daley Sidecar #68
' there are those who do, those who dont do and those who undo. We must lampoon the latter."

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2004 :  11:07:38 AM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

the plan is growing legs and we are waiting for feedback on the latest proposal from the Austin 7 boys. BUT, more importantly I require comments from Motorcyclists about how to make to idea work. Modern sidecars will be welcome so I can get a ride, but otherwise we thought to exclude the faster machines until we know if the circuit is safe running backwards. So if you have a P5 please just bear with us while we get it happenning. Any ideas about program, style etc would be welcome or even if you might enter will all help. Comments about entering are important so we dont merrily continue to plan and find no bikes actually enter.

John Daley Sidecar #68
' there are those who do, those who dont do and those who undo. We must lampoon the latter."
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2004 :  08:27:11 AM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

The proposal has now grown to this
a] use the circuit in its normal manner
b] Timed 3/4 lap runs
c] Have the meeting on a Sunday
d] Bikes now up to 1980 perhaps and any sidecar
e] Cars upto year 1950 and 1600cc limit, from Austin 7, Singer, Morris and MG clubs.
f] Date perhaps Sunday Aug 15 the day after our next Track day.
g] Cost about $30 - 40 for bikes and $70 for cars.

We need feedback on your thoughts please, otherwise you might get a meeting you dont want.
The main emphasis will be on the opportunity to see the design and presentation of the older machines, with no prizes for fastest times, simply attendance.

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2004 :  10:56:10 AM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

The latest proposal is to have speed an issue with P4 and P5 machines onlyie Trpophies for quickest. And participation the main attraction in the earlier machines. Feedback please?

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2004 :  5:36:45 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

We have booked the track. Sunday 15 August 2004 at Broadford. the proposal now involves any age sidecars, solo's from Pre war to P5.At this stage there is no proposal to have modern machines but this may be amended if there is a proven demand. The Austin 7 club has applied for their permits and the HMRAV will apply for the motorcycle ones, subject to positive feedback. Thus far there has been no responces and unless I hear something soon I shall be recommending to the HMRAV club that we do not go ahead. I have been caught out once before with lack of interest. So if you are keen for this style of event to go ahead, make that knowledge known, as I dont want to promote something that does not have support. If support is not forthcoming we shall need to consider cutting back on all the sprint events as being a waste of time for the organisers. It is up to you to keep the door open.

John Daley Sidecar #68

Edited by - john on 16 Mar 2004 5:49:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2004 :  6:52:23 PM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

Do we need a full MA licence?

Is your machine authentic or merely eligible?
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2004 :  10:30:10 AM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

We have not sorted that yet. I guess if we have it as a closed to club meeting a one event licence would apply. But we will have a session where the One day rec licence would apply and this would have no timing provided. Ultimately if the event took off the licence terms may alter.

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

matcho mick
Advanced Member

New South Wales

570 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2004 :  10:51:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit matcho mick's Homepage Send matcho mick a Private Message  

John,i wonder if the reason no response from the "others" is they are all going to Eastern creek on the 14/15th for NSW classic state titles?(justa thought)mick
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2004 :  09:50:49 AM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

Very good thought Mick. It would be great to have a calander that we can all see quickly. I wonder how to do that ?

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

David
Site Administrator

Australia

999 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2004 :  12:58:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit David's Homepage Send David a Private Message  

It don't matter how many times you ask, no bugger bothers to submit updates for future race meetings.
quote:
Originally posted by john
Very good thought Mick. It would be great to have a calander that we can all see quickly. I wonder how to do that ?

I am sure MA would have to have some idea as to what is going on for the year, but even they don't talk to us anymore as they have been proven not to do their job correctly by this site and it's users.

And if you can not get them, how in the hell is a site like this going to get them.

Regards,

David
Webmaster & Owner of Classic Motorcycling Australia

Quote: I thought I wanted a career, turns out I just wanted to be paid.
Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2004 :  5:01:41 PM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

I would have thought that it was reasonable to expect MA or MV (or both) to maintain an event calender on one of their web sites? These organisations are surely expected to promote and facilitate motorcycle racing throughout Australia. If they cannot be effective they should get out of the game!!!
Let's be honest - HOW IS ANYONE TO KNOW 'WHAT's ON'? HOW CAN WE EVER EXPECT TO GET A DECENT SPECTATOR OR COMPETITOR FOLLOWING?

Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2004 :  5:15:56 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

They do but I have trouble finding meeting dates from interstate, there are just so many calenders around and dates get changed. A central calendar which clubs that are interested, could put their meeting dates on for ready observation is required. It would be a mammouth task but if it was split into the disciplines it may be easier to maintain.

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

Allan
Site Moderator

National

599 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2004 :  9:41:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Allan's Homepage Send Allan a Private Message  

Well this is the reason that I asked David if he could get a web up for classic/post-classic racing so we would know where all the meetings were beening held. I actually rang all the State body's even NT to see if i could get this info for The site!! But we all know the answer.David has a calander for this reason but again does anyone use it I (almost) give up flooging a motorcycle

Allan Greening
Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2004 :  6:40:29 PM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

In the old days any MA affiliated club wanting to run a meeting had to get the date agreed with MA! Is this still the case? Surely MA maintains a calender, if it is to control what goes on as far as meetings are concerned? It can't be too hard to maintain the calender on their web site. They could do something USEFUL for once!!

Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2004 :  2:55:36 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

Getting back to the Historic Broadford concept. I can report that CAMS are carring out their track inspection tomorrow, 23 March, and an asnswer is expected in two weeks. Patrick the circuit Manager does not expect any problems. I shall keep you involved.

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

matcho mick
Advanced Member

New South Wales

570 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2004 :  11:02:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit matcho mick's Homepage Send matcho mick a Private Message  

Hey David,on the subject of calendars,(here)11th of june & july are listed dates for aust historic titles at Winton,is that something to update,it is in october? (i hope),are Queensland historic titles in july?,can Steve confirm?,what about Southern Classic dates?,cheers for now,Mick
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2004 :  10:03:10 AM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

Is there a chance we can stick to the topic of a potential Historic Broadford and start a topic discussing the calendar?
From the lack of feedback it would it would seem as if the Historic Broadford meeting is not wanted, so I shall reccomend that we dont go ahead with it. Thats bad luck,because riders tell me they want new meetings but dont have the time to tell us anything about what they would like or dislike with any potential new events. It is frustrating.

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2004 :  11:03:25 AM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

What is the proposed format for the sprints at Broadford? Is it simply one timed lap, or a warm-up lap and then a timed lap?

Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2004 :  11:17:25 AM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

HISTORIC BROADFORD [3 plus 2 plus 4] edition # 8

The opportunity to conduct an Historic Broadford has arisen.
The proposed plan involves working with the Austin 7 club in a reverse manner to Historic Winton, in that the HMRAV would be the primary promoter with Austin 7 assisting. It is agreed that the first run event would be used as a test to check management structures etc. The event will consist of a timed ¾ lap run of the Broadford circuit with no prize for the fastest entry in the older classes and something for the more modern bikes.
The current plan now in hand is as follows;
A] All vehicles to run clockwise
B] Up to 3 vehicles on the circuit at 20 second intervals may be possible, with flag marshals at all points.
C] Austin 7 club has timing gear that can handle three vehicles at a time.
D] Sunday is the preferred day.
E] Pit sheds would be useful for the car clubs as well.
F] A date in the July / August period is preferred by the Austin 7 and the HMRAV have a Saturday track day on 14 August with perhaps the Historic Broadford on the Sunday, 15 August 2004.
G] Some function on the Saturday evening may be possible.
H] Cars to be manufactured prior to 1950 with a 1600cc limit and to be invited from the Austin 7, Singer, Morris and MG car clubs, with special invitations to Victorian Historic register and the Vintage Sports Car Club.
I] Bikes to be limited to 1980 plus any sidecars.
J] Fees to be as follows, [ 40 ] Cars $100 [ 30] bikes about $60 Pits $20 each
K] Austin 7 to obtain the CAM’s Permit approx $1000 and HMRAV to obtain the MV permit approx $450.
L] Both clubs to deal with flag marshals etc.
M] Oil leaks from cars is an important issue to be dealt with causing exclusion from the event, sump plugs will be inspected. Glycol free coolants MUST be used.
N] Promotion to be shared at this stage simply to get things off the ground and whilst further thought is required, the emphasis may be on the interesting machines rather than the potential fire breathing wheel spinning monsters.
O] St Johns Ambo should be shared between all groups.
P] It is possible for Cars to be run with a special “Come and Run” licence [$20] and Bikes on Recreational Licence [ $15 ]
Q] All vehicles would be run around the track behind a marshal at say, 40kph for 4 laps prior to anything starting.
R] Spectators could be drawn from car clubs, at $10 per head and Family tickets $15
S] The Austin 7 publicists may be able to help along with something in the Historic Winton program.
T] If sufficient Sidecars attend we could run a “ Try a slide” for 1 hour after lunch.
There has been a suggestion of inviting some Vauxhall 30 / 98 as a special showing and in future some sort of invitational along these lines could be encouraged.
U] Austin 7 to apply now for an Category C regional Track licence to CAMS 12 March 2004
V] CAMS to inspect the track on Tuesday 23 March 2004. reply due about 2 weeks after.
Penrite, Shannons, Tattersals may help.

John Daley Secretary of HMRAV

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2004 :  4:08:41 PM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

When I spoke to John about this meeting he mentioned that it is intended to run regularity events as part of the proceedings. I've never seen a motorcycle regularity, however they are very popular amongst the historic car racers. It's an excuse to get out and have a good fifteen minute blast. Usually there are trophies involved for the most consistent lap times, the rider has to nominate what he can lap in. And if you want to have a good go at someone else, here's an opportunity. (Lap times are most consistent at racing speeds).
These events are particularly suitable for beginners. So if you haven't raced before, come and try it!
I suggest riders should be started off in pairs.

Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2004 :  05:14:05 AM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

John, have you got supplementary regs together for this meeting yet? How about outlining them on this forum?

Go to Top of Page

David
Site Administrator

Australia

999 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2004 :  05:48:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit David's Homepage Send David a Private Message  

Alan,

If you have a look in the area in the menu on the side that says: You must be logged in to see this link.

You will find an area that has the Supp Regs in there.

Regards,

David
Webmaster & Owner of Classic Motorcycling Australia

Quote: I thought I wanted a career, turns out I just wanted to be paid.
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2004 :  09:43:00 AM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

There are no supp.Regs for the Historic broadford yet, and unless people indicate their interest I will not bother wasting my time. I have an engine to rebuild and a business to run . So let me know if you would turn up to this style of meeting. Remeber the P4 and P5 class bikes will be timed for fastest, only the oldies will get the regularity. We wioll also be able to split the field with licence type, full licence will be able to hoon and rec licennces will not be timed officially. So let me know or you will not be invited.

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2004 :  7:11:34 PM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

For $35 or $40 I'd expect a bit of track time. I'll probably turn up just out of curiosity, as I've never raced at Broadford. I mught as well find out what we were paying for with the levy! Actually I'm more inclined to pay the $300 licence fee and come and join in the P5 two stroke races at normal historic meetings. Competition has a lot to do with it. I tend to get most enjoyment when I'm racing wheel-to-wheel with some other idiot. If your program at Broadford involves running 'matched pairs' of riders-that would be good!

Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2004 :  08:54:05 AM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

Matched pairs may be worthwhile I shall add that, Thanks.Dont worry about track time thats why we are planning the meeting. Most meetings cost $120 for 30 laps, so that $3 per lap. At $40 that workd out at 13.3 laps. Alowing for 3/4 lap thats 17.77 runs, less a commission for planning.

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2004 :  08:18:55 AM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

Proposed date now is 13 Feb. 2005
We are still negotiating about one event licences and having the ability to have paying spectators.
But it all depends on the Insurance costs etc to ensure everybody is covered.
Currently we are looking for timing equioment that will work for 3/4 lap runs. If anybody can help please contact me.

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums © 2000 - 2024 Go To Top Of Page
This page was put together in 1.41 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 by Classic Motorcycling Australia | Web design by: Greening Computer Services