Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!

Forums  

Advertise with us
Advertise with us

All Forums
 Classic, Historic & Post Classic Motorcycling
 Future Race Meetings
 Why this group is going?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums  

Alan
Forum Moderator

Western Australia

353 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2005 :  9:58:08 PM  Show Profile Send Alan a Private Message  

Kavo, off the subject a bit but seeing your response and the fact that there are 20 Queenslanders going to the Island I wondered why hardly any of you went to Winton last year or WA the year before for the National Chamionships. I know there was a little controversy over Winton but I wouldnt have thought that would have stopped everyone from going and there were no problems in WA the year before. For that matter there were hardly any Queenslanders in SA the year before.
Maybe you can cast some light on the subject so promoters in the future know what they have to do to attract you guys to their meetings.
Wish I could discuss this with you at the Island but unfortunately I am one of the great unwashed who rides a sidecar and we dont appear to be welcome. Boo hoo.

Alan Sidecar 21 WA

kavo
Level 2 Member

Queensland

38 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2005 :  2:18:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit kavo's Homepage Send kavo a Private Message  

Hi Alan,

There really isn't one reason, but possibly a combination of a lot of things that have been happening within the historic racing scene here in QLD. Possibly a lot of the lower patronage of other events may be due to a lot of our members becoming disinterested when Lakeside went, which left us with only one main Track (QLD Raceway)and a club level track (Warwick).

A couple of other hot topics at the time were also log books and National Race license costs..

I suppose a lot of it comes down to costs of travelling all over Oz as well. This is where the distance factor comes in, although I do recognise that you also travel from WA to attend events.

When I say 20 people, I actually meant 20 bikes as there are a few people taking more than one bike.

Possibly one of the reasons we have good interest from our club members for the Island Classic is due to the club chipping in some money to get competitors there and back.

Our club generally sponsors 1 event a year. i.e. Contributes towards a competitor getting to and from an event. This year we chose for that event to be the Island classic.

I cannot comment on the Winton titles too much, but I can say that this year we had three members attend from Queensland. Two in the Classic and One in the Post Classic classes.

Some of the guys who would normally attend were put off by the the costs etc in the Supp Regs for Winton.

I think sometimes the guys in Victoria need to realise how lucky they are, with 3 or 4 tracks within hours of one another.

I went to the Island Classic for the first time last year and I had a ball, so I vowed that I would be back there again next time, after all it is one of the best tracks in the world, that we have in our own backyard.

Cheers

Go to Top of Page

Alan
Forum Moderator

Western Australia

353 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2005 :  11:50:20 PM  Show Profile Send Alan a Private Message  

Kavo, Thanks for your time in replying. I guess the reasons are in line with what most of us know but need to hear from time to time and mostly relate to costs. With the exception of Winton which was the most expensive meeting I have attended I cannot see where costs can be reduced. We in WA managed to run the Nationals at a very low cost to the competitor but we had a very good committee who worked very hard on sponsorship which helped a lot. This cannot always be achieved.
Its good that your club is subsidising travel costs in some way. That is another thing that we did last year and between the club and MWA we were able to keep the cost of shipping a container to Winton at a reasonable level for members.
Thanks again for your input it all helps complete the picture.

Alan Sidecar 21 WA
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums © 2000 - 2024 Go To Top Of Page
This page was put together in 0.78 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 by Classic Motorcycling Australia | Web design by: Greening Computer Services