Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!

Forums  

Advertise with us
Advertise with us

All Forums
 Classic, Historic & Post Classic Motorcycling
 Future Race Meetings
 Historic Winton 2005 again
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums  

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2005 :  3:47:40 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

I know I have started this earlier, but it got highjacked so I thought I would start again. We need to maintain the momentum of getting the older bikes back to the track. Thats what Historic winton is about. Any new ideas to get the classics and earlier reinvigorated please?

John Daley Sidecar #68
' there are those who do, those who dont do and those who undo. We must lampoon the latter."

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2005 :  4:46:25 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

Is there anything we can use from this idea from NZ at say Historic Winton, where would be get other bikes etc along thses lines. Does this idea generate others?

"PRESS RELEASE PRESS RELEASE PRESS RELEASE

2005 Classic Motorcycle Festival, Pukekohe
30th April, 1st May, 2005.

Pukekohe Park Raceway with play host to the 26th Classic Motorcycle Racing Festival at the much later weekend of 30th April and May 1st, due to the major drainage work which has kept the circuit closed for most of the summer.

The festival is one of the largest events in the world for Classic Motorcycles and will again be attracting over 200 riders and 300 bikes from NZ and overseas to take part in the 50 races held during the weekend.

The star attraction will be Superbike star Aaron Slight racing a selection of classic machines during the weekend.

Aaron Slight is one of NZ most successful sportsmen ever with a long racing career that included 13 World Superbike Championship race wins as a factory supported Honda rider.

Twice runner-up and four times third place in the World Superbike Championship, and a record 3 win at the Suzuka 8 Hour has earned Aaron the respect of the motorcycling world and a leading place in NZ motorcycling history..

Pukekohe rider Dave Cole riding a Matchless G50 will be sure to add some spice to the meeting after his performance in recent overseas races winning the Australian Classic Championship, and all his races at the Phillip Island Classic, (including breaking Barry Sheene’s lap record).

New Zealand international racing legends Hugh Anderson, MBE and Ginger Molloy will both be competing, and will be hard to beat after their success at Phillip Island, where despite both being well over official “Senior Citizen” status they both won races against all comers

Also featured will be “100 years of Velocette”, celebrating one of the most famous names of the British motorcycle industry, with a large display of these beautifully engineered road and racing bikes.

A demonstration of the 1920 Indian bike used in the upcoming film “The World’s Fastest Indian” staring Sir Anthony Hopkins will provide a rare opportunity to see and hear this machine running.

John Daley Sidecar #68
' there are those who do, those who dont do and those who undo. We must lampoon the latter."

Edited by - john on 28 Feb 2005 10:00:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2005 :  09:41:13 AM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

I was hopeing for some different brilliant idea to help us get somewhere better.

One event licences are not on two reasons;
- It has always been an open event and there is no support from either my committee, MA, MV only some blokes who dont want to get a full licence.
- Now I am getting comments from regular riders who dont want to race with people who ride once a year. They are worried on safety grounds that these bolkes take all weekend to get up to speed etc.

I had wondered about a reliability trial but I dont have much support for that either.
I have thouight about sidecars only but that class has been shrinking lately, so I am lost for action PLEASE HELP.

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2005 :  4:35:41 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

Already we have had the phone call from the Austin 7 club about making sure we have full fields, something we have not had for soemtime. But already I am being laughed at when I passed the message on. People do not believe that we may not race at Historic Winton. Well I am here to tell you they are knocking back heaps of car entries to permit us to compete, in the mean time we are scratching to fill fields. So tell me were I have got it wrong?
Who is going to help get bikes on the grid, I feel like doing nothing just for the satisafaction of seeingwhat happens when we get chucked out. I guess all the whisperers and lurkers will be out screaming-- Do something!.
So I am asking just once more, Who is entering and who does not care?

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2005 :  10:58:58 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

I take it everybody thinks I am alarmist. Supp regs for the cars are out now, their entries close 15 April. Our supp regs are not out yet.
We need ideas.
I am aware of massive resistance to any change, I dont have a preconcieved idea about what to do but I do know if we do nothing we will not be racing at Historic Winton. We have been informed they dont want fields of 15 and 17 as we have run in the past[ last year].
We may need to mix up classes even more. We may need to try the despised Reliability trial, no licence, no log books, no worries.
All I can say if people argue against change they are arguing for the destruction of Historic Winton and need to be reminded of this when they start whispering and phoning.
Nothing short of an improvement in numbers will suffice.
Can anybody respond please?

John Daley Sidecar #68

Edited by - john on 12 Mar 2005 06:29:10 AM
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2005 :  12:32:39 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

Supp regs are out and will be available on this site in a day or so. Thanks. Dont forget to look at the regularity Trial event.

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

David
Site Administrator

Australia

999 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2005 :  2:38:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit David's Homepage Send David a Private Message  

The supp regs are un in the You must be logged in to see this link.

Regards,

David
Webmaster & Owner of Classic Motorcycling Australia

Quote: I thought I wanted a career, turns out I just wanted to be paid.
Go to Top of Page

trumpybob
Level 2 Member

New South Wales

29 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2005 :  7:50:19 PM  Show Profile Send trumpybob a Private Message  

Just reading the supp regs for Winton, can anyone tell me who races in the Ken Lucas and Bill Luke trophy races ? please excuse my Ignorance

Racing is everything,the rest of the time is just waiting
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2005 :  5:58:05 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

Classic the Ken Lucas race is a handicap and the Bill Luke Memorial is a scratch race.

John Daley Sidecar #68

Edited by - john on 03 Apr 2005 6:03:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

matcho mick
Advanced Member

New South Wales

570 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2005 :  10:04:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit matcho mick's Homepage Send matcho mick a Private Message  

sorry John,list me among the "i don't cares",cars& bikes do not mix for me,
Go to Top of Page

Geoffpgrant
Level 3 Member

South Australia

204 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2005 :  10:40:28 PM  Show Profile Send Geoffpgrant a Private Message  

Well I have to say that you are the one missing out Matcho Mick! Historic Winton is a fun meeting where we go every year and get some of the best racing that we can find. I love the track and the camaraderie among the motorcyclists there is excellent.
Try it - you might like it.
For everyone else who are the 'do cares' I look forward to seeing you there next month.
Geoff
Sidecar #30
Go to Top of Page

Geoffpgrant
Level 3 Member

South Australia

204 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2005 :  11:02:49 PM  Show Profile Send Geoffpgrant a Private Message  

Can anyone tell me about camping at the track? Two years ago apparently you could camp at the track but there were a few problems with the organisation of it (eg you were not allowed out after a certain time so a couple of people spent the night there with no dinner!!)
Is camping at the track allowed this year or not? And if it is allowed what facilities are available there? And ultimately what do we have to do if we want to stay at the track?
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2005 :  3:20:05 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

yes $10 per head
contact winton on race@wintonraceway.com.au
I have the details somewhere but get it again direct

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2005 :  08:57:18 AM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

WE are still taking entries, a $ fee pplies and that is detailed on the entry. WE are working on the program and will be back with the final details. Please consider the Parade laps for any bike but a nice one would be better.

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2005 :  10:50:49 AM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

We have about 95 machines entered for this meeting.
Our Race Secretary left me in the lurch and I have had to rush the preparation of the classes etc to fit the 17 events we have.
I have experimented with mixing classes as we do to a limited extent at this meeting anyway. But with 3 hours to sort it I could do no different.

BUT I would like feedback and I uploaded the program under Miscellanious / Documents area. Can you all have a look at it.

John Daley Sidecar #68

Edited by - john on 13 May 2005 12:19:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

yamaman
Level 2 Member

Western Australia

44 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2005 :  1:15:53 PM  Show Profile Send yamaman a Private Message  

Sorry John, tried to download, nothing happened, could be just me! Anyone else have luck?

Beer makes you feel like you should feel when your not drinking beer
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2005 :  2:13:34 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

I just checked at it was OK but you do need MS Excel to open it. If there is another way to help evrybody can somebody let me know.

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

yamaman
Level 2 Member

Western Australia

44 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2005 :  2:43:19 PM  Show Profile Send yamaman a Private Message  

Ahh I see now! I've only got MS works spreadsheet, bugger Mr Gates. Not sure if its the best way, but maybe you could print, scan and post?

Beer makes you feel like you should feel when your not drinking beer
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2005 :  7:00:29 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

Try aagian I have just learnt something else its in MSword.

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

David
Site Administrator

Australia

999 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2005 :  7:23:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit David's Homepage Send David a Private Message  

Send it to me John and I will convert it to Adobe PDF format if you like.
quote:
Originally posted by john

I just checked at it was OK but you do need MS Excel to open it. If there is another way to help evrybody can somebody let me know.
Then wveryone can read it.

Regards,

David
Webmaster & Owner of Classic Motorcycling Australia

Quote: I thought I wanted a career, turns out I just wanted to be paid.
Go to Top of Page

Geoffpgrant
Level 3 Member

South Australia

204 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2005 :  8:00:08 PM  Show Profile Send Geoffpgrant a Private Message  

I could read the program no problems. I had a quick scan and it looks like a pretty good program to me - although I must admit that it was a quick scan...and I probably strayed mainly to the sidecars...

John, can you let me know if there is practice on Friday? And if there is what are the arrangements for that?

Must say that I am looking forward to getting to Winton and some more racing. We just had a great weekend at Mac Park this weekend at the 'Old Farts' meeting even though it cost me a motor which I now have to rebuild (hope I can get the parts!) before Winton. Cheers

Geoff
Sidecar #30
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2005 :  10:42:47 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

There is Friday practise but you need to slot in with the cars so there aint much time available.

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2005 :  7:04:25 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

We are now up to 9 sidecars and we are still trying to flush more out. We have also taken a few late entries from solo machines so our numbers are creeping up.
Remember if you can go in the free Parade Lap at Lunch on Saturday I would be grateful.

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

Ben
Honda CB350 Racers Promotion - Moderator

Victoria

288 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2005 :  11:48:50 AM  Show Profile Send Ben a Private Message  

Hiya All,

Who from here is going to the winton meet? I will be there and would like to say hi to some of you.
Cheers,
Ben.

Try Everything
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2005 :  11:56:53 AM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

Ask out for me, bring the bike for the parade laps!!!

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

keith campbell
Level 3 Member

Victoria

248 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2005 :  5:14:04 PM  Show Profile Send keith campbell a Private Message  

Hey Ben have you got that bigger trailer organised nice and early this time? Hope you can make the parade and look forward to seeing you there Keith.
Go to Top of Page

racer7
Level 2 Member

67 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2005 :  7:38:55 PM  Show Profile Send racer7 a Private Message  

Cars and bikes.
OK, so I'm older then I think.
I forged my parents signature to be able to race. Cars and bikes mixed.
We'd have bikes, Sports cars, Saloon Cars, and F1. Yes F1. I started racing in South Africa, at the Roy Hesketh circuit. That was the way it was. There were Nortons, G50's, Yamaha's. There McLaren Sports cars, Lotus 23's. There were Surtees and Lotus F1's. Bikes in the morning, cars after lunch. There were Galaxies, Renault (Jodie Schechter no less)Mustangs.
No problems then. Why now?
Racer7
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2005 :  11:59:07 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

What problems are you talking about Racer7 ?

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

Ben

Victoria

288 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2005 :  1:44:58 PM  Show Profile Send Ben a Private Message  

Good luck to all those entered in the races this w'end! Should be great, I for one am looking forward to seeing the cars as well!
No bike for me though, the tank is still in for welding.....!

Cheers.

Try Everything
Go to Top of Page

Ben

Victoria

288 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2005 :  10:51:55 AM  Show Profile Send Ben a Private Message  

What a great meeting! This to me, encapsulated what the classic scene is all about. Was great to see some excellent racing from both bikes and cars, fantastic pit displays and a large crowd. It seems that people/spectators love the "integrated" classic approach, it enables a good insight into the whole world of classics.
In my humble opinion of course!

Try Everything
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2005 :  4:06:20 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

Thanks Ben

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums © 2000 - 2024 Go To Top Of Page
This page was put together in 0.92 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 by Classic Motorcycling Australia | Web design by: Greening Computer Services