Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!

Forums  

Advertise with Classic Motorcycling Australia
Advertise with Classic Motorcycling Australia

All Forums
 Promotion Area of Historic/Classic/Post Classic
 Future Race Meetings
 Historic Titles 2005
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums  

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2004 :  10:40:43 AM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

With a proposal to run the Titles in Tassie, can we start to work to get a good meeting happening. Is there anything we can do to assist collectively?

John Daley Sidecar #68
' there are those who do, those who dont do and those who undo. We must lampoon the latter."

Edited by - john on 10 Nov 2004 9:38:45 PM

David
Site Administrator

Australia

999 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2004 :  4:32:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit David's Homepage Send David a Private Message  

I can get a special page set up on this site to help with the advertising and if there are posters made up, I could get quite a few put up in shops and other areas in the City of Casey and will try to get some other areas postered as well. This will hopefully get some riders and spectators interested.

I may even talk to some of the air plane companies and others to see if we can get special deals through them to get people over to Tas. I feel I could even approach the Spirt of Tas operators to get a special deal from them if it takes that to get the spectator and rider numbers up, but again I would need some sort of numbers to go to them with.

Do the tassie crowd want a hand with the promotion to get it big?

Regards,

David
Webmaster & Owner of Classic Motorcycling Australia

Quote: I thought I wanted a career, turns out I just wanted to be paid.
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2004 :  7:01:27 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

There are some important facts that need to be considered;
The need for a strong local club to help provide with riders and officials who want to be involved.

The need to a free flow of information with the potential riders well prior to the meeting.

Perhaps even a DVD of the track so we can get some idea of which way to turn, remember sidecar riders can only see between their thumbs.

Perhaps a standard set of Supp. Regs from the Commisioners to speed to whole process up.

A good accommodation and travel information package and perhaps some effort to provide on site camping as we have at the Broadford circuit with something at night.

Some people see the champs as a cash cow, but the riders have a different viewpoint on this matter.

In the case of tassy it may pay to try and get some sort of transport deal going, because that cost is often high once you put a trailer on a car. Perhaps information and logistics to assist in reducing transport costs. Ie in the case of sidecars encourage teams to put the machine on the back of a ute.

And importantly make sure there is a supply of Stout at the trackside Bar.

John Daley Sidecar #68
' there are those who do, those who dont do and those who undo. We must lampoon the latter."

Edited by - john on 10 Nov 2004 9:41:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

Alan
Forum Moderator

Western Australia

353 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2004 :  7:51:45 PM  Show Profile Send Alan a Private Message  

I have already emailed Motorcycling Tasmania to try to get some information flowing. As and when it becomes available I will publish it on here.
Can I somehow paste an email into these forums. If it is possible please tell me in words of only one syllable as I am like John a sidecar person.

Alan Sidecar 21 WA
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2004 :  9:37:36 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

Alan, when the email appears. Press you pointer finger down on the left hand button on the mouse and highlight all the text you want to copy. Then with another finger of your choice press the Right hand button on the mouse. A block with choices will appear, and tap Copy with the arrow and the left hand mouse button. Still with me now.
Go to the fridge for a beer.
Its abit like using a bat phone and text messages with fingers moving from one button to another.
the simply go to the message block you have been using to ask for help here and Right click, then k\left click to choose the Paste function.
Open the stubby and take a sip only.
Now edit the work to get rid of bits you dont need so we dont read surperflous bits and then finish as per normal.
Then sit down finish Beer and feel good.

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

Alan
Forum Moderator

Western Australia

353 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2004 :  10:57:44 PM  Show Profile Send Alan a Private Message  

Thanks John I like the beer bit and should cope with the rest.

Alan Sidecar 21 WA
Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2004 :  6:52:10 PM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

'Some people see the champs as a cash cow, but the riders have a different viewpoint on this matter.'

Winton would have made more money last weekend by simply renting the track out. A fun day where the locals can drive their cars on the circuit actually returns a lot more money than running historic motorcycle championships!!

Is your machine authentic or merely eligible?
Go to Top of Page

Former Member
deleted

10 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2004 :  10:59:15 PM  

In my brief time in historic racing it has been obvious to me that most clubs running state or national titles budget not to make a profit on these meetings but just to put on a historic racing meeting to their best ability
the Winton meeting was not as well run as the most casual non point scoring club meeting that I have seen yet in my admittedly short time. But to be honest let Winton hire out their track to who ever and let some one who Knew what they were doing run the meetings. Lets stop apologising and realise that some people who have been racing for 20 or 30 more years than me and some of them have a hand in running some quite succesful and well run meetings that I have attended, may Know a thing or two and we should listen to them. My dad a former 70s speedway racer has been following me to race meetings in NSW and VIC to club meets and two southern classics and could not believe that winton was our national titles
Lets learn from this experience put it behind us and plan for the future
ChrisM
Go to Top of Page

Alan
Forum Moderator

Western Australia

353 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2004 :  11:03:30 PM  Show Profile Send Alan a Private Message  

Winton certainly saw the event as a money making excercise. The most expensive historic meeting in living memory add to that the extra $8000.00 or so from the Bears entry, then look at what they gave back to the competitors, no trophies as per GCRs, no trophies for support races, no presentations, no memento for the competitors and a whole lot of grief to boot. Give me a club day anytime if thats how we are going to be treated at major events.
If Winton are so unhappy with their return hopefully they will never apply again.

Alan Sidecar 21 WA
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2004 :  09:22:04 AM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

the bottom line is that Clubs cannot run meetings at a loss. They do make a profit so they can continue to run meetings. They dont aim for a SUPER PROFIT FROM THE RIDERS. aS sECRETARY OF THE hmrav i HAVE BEEN ENCOURAGEING THE Growth OF PAYING SPECTATOR numbers SO THE PROFIT COMEs from them and not the riders who privide the entertainment.

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

Former Member
deleted

120 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2004 :  2:05:38 PM  

Okay guys tell me if this idea is on the target. a event like the titles should go to a club who will put the profits back into the sport. winton were given the titles by ross martin to help out all their money problems, the story about them threatening MA with the other insurance crap is a total red herring. so if next year the titles are being run by MA tassie thats fine i guess and we can all support them, then thats gotta be good for the future of the sport. lots of people could do lots of things to help make any meeting a success, anyone involved with winton were never gonna get that support because it was clear from the beginning it was being organised by incompetant morons to fleece money from historic guys. but thats never been the case anywhere else recently so could david the webguru maybe get something started with input from the tassie guys so other guys can show there support, help with ideas well in advance like the things that good guy Alan said winton ignored, set the classes that should be run way in advance and encourage the bikes to enter, and send the bears a letter telling them to piss off. meanwhile commish Al could work on the rule book and make sure the right mob always gets to run the titles, make sure the paperwork is all done for people who dont understand it, tell idiot officials that after a bad weekend not to make it worse with totally illogical measuring demands that ross martin organised, and make sure flaggies and timers and other officials are in place way before the event, while he at it he could also add a bit extra to the fee so that MA provide the trophy's. and remember that this years fiasco would never have happened if Ross Martin hadn't have bent over for winton. i rekon that everyone who critisised me and others for sticking it up them and not believing them must be feeling like complete ********s now. no one has any confidence in the MA office at the moment, and believe me thats not just with historics, there will be some musical chairs there soon but in the the meantime we have to take back our sport from those who are happy to destroy it until things change. lets all make tassie a big success and show the armchair experts what can happen if everyone is on board and up front.

Jayne
Go to Top of Page

Alan
Forum Moderator

Western Australia

353 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2004 :  12:48:46 AM  Show Profile Send Alan a Private Message  

Snoozer you are pretty much on the ball with your comments but I dont think you are correct in your assertions regarding Ross Martin on this occasion regarding event allocation. I do agree that we should all get behind Tassie though and maybe this is an opportunity for the HMRAV to make amends for Victorias poor showing this year by assisting the organisers and by participating on the track.

Alan Sidecar 21 WA
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2004 :  10:37:03 AM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

I do not believe the HMRAV has to make any amends for the actions of its members as a group or individually.
I believe you are way out of order Alan.

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2004 :  10:38:36 AM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

Can we leave the 2004 titles cooments on the relevant topic and get going here only with 2005.
We all need to wai until the decision is made about the event and maybe it will be awhile yet.

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

Former Member
deleted

120 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2004 :  7:05:13 PM  

For good guy Alan, dont believe everything you hear or think you know, Ross Martin was in it up to his ears and winton knew perfectly well the viccy HMRV had an application in and more than anything wanted to take it off them to stick it up them and to get the money into their pockets, for the time being thats how MA works. now Alan you might well have more money than other people and could afford to go no matter what, a lot of us saw the original deal and got a whiff of the bad smell of things to come and decided not to go coz we could spend our limited dollars better, even you said you might withdraw on the day if things didn't work out. but really its all just bad history now, winton and all their supporters should be forgotten about and lets move on and get things happening the right way again. looks like we've got to support tassie next year, hopefully mac park after that, then qld, nsw, wa etc and hopefully nt as well coz its a very cool place to go, and maybe viccy again after that. one thing everyone has learnt that with sites like this for instance if anyone wants to screw guys over theyre gonna get called on it and the wimpish MA staff are gonna be held accountable for here on in.

Jayne
Go to Top of Page

Former Member
deleted

174 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2004 :  7:46:42 PM  

Alan(21),why should the HMRAV make amends? When it didnt have any involvement in running the titles.
That is a sad comment there Alan you are definatley way out of order.
I dont think the HMRAV should make amends for people like me not wanting to attend an event that is not worth riding at.
Dont blame the HMRAV.

Its not what you ride,Its how fast you ride it!!!
Go to Top of Page

David
Site Administrator

Australia

999 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2004 :  7:53:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit David's Homepage Send David a Private Message  

I read the response from Alan (21) as a complement to the HMRAV. My interpretation is that Alan feels that the HMRAV can run a meeting unlike some that also represent Victoria, so maybe Alan is owed an appology.

Regards,

David

Go to Top of Page

Former Member
deleted

174 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2004 :  8:23:39 PM  

How can you possibly get a compliment from this statement,

"maybe this is an opportunity for the HMRAV to make amends for Victorias poor showing this year by assisting the organisers and by participating on the track."

The only apologies Alan should be getting is from Winton and MA.

Go to Top of Page

Former Member
deleted

174 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2004 :  8:49:19 PM  

Is there any Tassie counterparts that can supply info on accomadation etc.
The trip is planned for us and Ive already started getting the Spirit of Tassie prices and it is quite reasonable considering the amount of crap that will make the voyage packed in the trailer.
Maybe looking into a container would be a better option.
Alan how was your experiences with the container at Winton is it worth doing again?
The Spirit of Tassie site is You must be logged in to see this link.
Any info on pubs/clubs,food outlets,fuel supplies,police hotspots,any useful info so people can plan a bit better and make a good holiday of it.

Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2004 :  10:33:33 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

Before we all start to book boats etc we ned to have it all confirmed by the MA commisioners that it will be in Tassie. David White has also advised the same in an earlier listing. there will be plenty of time if the planning is done right.
I should reveal the HMRAV has been sounded out about assisting and the committee is waiting for details of any request which may be forth coming.
But as a follow up to Alans comment about HMRAV needing to make amends, I still dont not agree with his ascertion. But let us not get bogged on abuse. Each party has made their statements lets just get on with racing in Tassie if thats where it is going to be.
The first thing is a track licence somewhere. I hope Symonds Plains cuts all its Armco down for us.

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

Alan
Forum Moderator

Western Australia

353 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2004 :  01:26:01 AM  Show Profile Send Alan a Private Message  

Sorry guys you kinda got the wrong message. My mention of the HMRAV was purely and simply related to entries at Winton and nothing else. I certainly wasnt having a go at the committee and or members other than to believing that boycotting a meeting is not the way to achieve anything.
If I have offended anyone especially John Daley who works so hard for his club and racing in general than I apologise.

Alan Sidecar 21 WA
Go to Top of Page

keith campbell
Level 3 Member

Victoria

248 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2004 :  11:19:20 AM  Show Profile Send keith campbell a Private Message  

I have to say that I will happily go to Tassie having not visited there in 20 odd years IF they get the meeting as has been suggested.
MORE IMPORTANTLY M.A. *** MUST*** GET THEIR AFFAIRS IN ORDER AND ANNOUNCE WHEN AND WHERE THIS MEET IS GOING TO TAKE PLACE A.S.A.P!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!FIRSTLY.
Go to Top of Page

Former Member
deleted

120 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2004 :  9:15:44 PM  

John i don't understand your comment about the armco at symonds plain, arnt the titles planned to be at the baskervill track near hobart. and on baskerville does anyone have any details on the track like how long it is, how many turns and that stuff. be good to get to know about it well in advance.

Jayne
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2004 :  9:37:05 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

Still digging. In fact I have had trouble finding any contact details of the club that wants to run the champs. I hear Wally Campbell mentioned it was the 100 year aniversery of his club, does anybody know its name?
Perhaps somebody has some details.
I understand that whilst a track inspection and licence application can be dealt with as quick as an inspector can get there, there are issues that may be in need of attension.
So lets encourage the application to speed on its way.

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

David
Site Administrator

Australia

999 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2004 :  9:38:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit David's Homepage Send David a Private Message  

Jayne,

Look here: You must be logged in to see this link.

Regards,

David

Go to Top of Page

Alan
Forum Moderator

Western Australia

353 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2004 :  11:50:54 PM  Show Profile Send Alan a Private Message  

Wally Campbell did say at Winton that they had changed the venue from Baskerville to Symonds Plains. he also did say that it was part of the celebration of Motorcycle Week and also mentioned the 100th anniversary of the organising club, the name of which escapes me. There was some doubt as to whether the meeting has actually been approved yet but I can say that it was agreed to while I was on the Commission and it was minuted as such so on that issue I am slightly confused. No doubt all will be revealed with the passing of time.

Alan Sidecar 21 WA
Go to Top of Page

Former Member
deleted

174 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2004 :  01:38:52 AM  

Try this one to
You must be logged in to see this link.

Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2004 :  09:57:16 AM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

Baskerville looks nice.

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2004 :  12:12:53 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

It seems that Motorcycling Tassy is gunning to be the promoter.
PO Box 1154
Glenorchy, Tas 7010
Phone: +61 (0)3 6228 2400
Fax: +61 (0)3 6228 0855
Email: mtas@southcom.com.au
Web: You must be logged in to see this link.
Office Administrator: Sheridan Lodder
President: Peter Kitto

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

David
Site Administrator

Australia

999 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2004 :  2:28:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit David's Homepage Send David a Private Message  

As a conformation from David White (CEO MA):

quote:
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, 16 November 2004 11:00 AM
To: News Item
Subject: 2005 Historic Titles

Name: David White

147 Montague St.
South Melbourne
Melbourne, Victoria 3205

Directed to: News Item

Comments: In order to avoid misunderstandings and speculation
regarding the 2005 tiles I would like to advise as follows. The meeting will definately not be at Symmons Plains. Bakerville will be licensed subject to a further inspection of the venue and some outstanding works being completed. MA is awaiting plans of the venue to be provided. The inspection may identify other issues At this stage there is no promiter for the event. Tasmania has until the end of this month to provide a detailed proposal from a promoter to run the event. This proposal would have to include all details such as a entry fee travel etc. Until both of the above issues are satisfactorily resolved any information regarding the event is speculation.
Thanks for the information MA. Great we can provide it for the users.

Regards,

David

Go to Top of Page

Former Member
deleted

120 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2004 :  7:02:41 PM  

Well at least weve now got the boss telling us things and not the bottle washer but maybe the skeptic in me coming out again. where is the ma support for the titles to happen, are MA already planning on 'identifying other issues' so they can roll the tassie effort and give it to one of their buddies again. instead of saying there is no promoter and saying they have to satisfactorily resolve all issues wouldnt it be nice to hear the lazy bastards at MA say how they are working flat out with tassie to make the event a success. we all pay the wages for the MA staff which includes all of Whites frequent overseas junkets, after Ross Martin screwed up this years titles MA should be offering tassie, or anyone else if it comes to that, all the help and support they possibly can, not just sitting back reading tourist brochures while they wait for there latest demand to be met. sorry but i dont think we are being represented very well, i'd rather hear White tell us how hes going to help and how best we can all help and we only have to look at this year to know how not to do it.

Jayne
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums © 2000 - 2024 Go To Top Of Page
This page was put together in 1.67 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 by Classic Motorcycling Australia | Web design by: Greening Computer Services