Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!

Forums  

Advertise with us
Advertise with us

All Forums
 Classic, Historic & Post Classic Motorcycling
 Future Race Meetings
 2004 Australian Historic Championships
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2004 :  6:29:36 PM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

I've asked Heather Wallace about the hire charges for the pit sheds along the pit road in front of the starting grid. She said that a discount of $20 per shed was allowed for the Historic Championships, that works out at a cost of $55 per bike, each shed holds 6 bikes, is lockable, and powered. We are not sure what Terry O'Neil charged during the Superbike round, but believe it was substantially more than the usual. When the car guys hire the sheds, they don't usually get the discount, and the shed only holds two cars.
I don't believe that's a bad deal, considering the comfort factor.

Is your machine authentic or merely eligible?
Go to Top of Page

Former Member
deleted

120 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2004 :  8:45:37 PM  

I might be a dumb farm girl but if i can work out how many bales are in a haystack i work this out. 55 x 6 still is $330 for the shed, nothing has changed. but the comfort factor is a plus seeing as that for the hole time you're there you only get 3 races so you'll spend a lot of time in the shed. one of the guys said last night that the cost of a winton garage is more than a viccy licence for a year, if guys think a licence is too much you can imagine whats being said about these winton experts.

Jayne
Go to Top of Page

Alan
Forum Moderator

Western Australia

353 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2004 :  10:31:39 PM  Show Profile Send Alan a Private Message  

It is interesting checking the fee structure for this years Nationals when you consider it is being run by the track owners and we end up with almost double the fee of last year and less rides, plus the garage fee is a bit over the top. We managed to run a succesful meeting last year in WA at a much lower entry fee and managed to give everyone four races over the two race days and plenty of practice/qualifying on the Friday. We had to pay for the track hire on top of our normal expenses and being in the west had to cater for a lower than normal entry as people dont traditionally travel. Maybe the extra rides came from not catering for non Historic Classes, the lower fee structure from being happy with a reasonable profit and topping it up by getting off our backsides and gaining some sponsorship.
Regardless I will be there having fun somewhere at the back end of the field.

Alan Sidecar 21 WA
Go to Top of Page

David
Site Administrator

Australia

999 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2004 :  07:30:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit David's Homepage Send David a Private Message  

What I do not get about the fees is the fact that Alan Cotterell keeps on complaining about the cost of racing, but as soon as he is involved in setting up a race, the fees are the biggest I have seen going around. I understand that you need to make a profit, but the fees are way beyond that. What is the entry fee for the public? I notice that has not been mentioned currently. Is it going to be so much that the puclic decides it would be cheaper to go on an overseas holiday? Let us know as we know a heap of people read here that are thinking of going.

Alan Warner, you have hit the nail on the head, they own the track, they could get sponsorship (which I say they have already) and pass on the savings to the riders so the cost is down.

Jayne, the comfort factor, need I say more than, well put. The cost is not quite as much as a Vic license, but it is damn close. As stated in this topic: You must be logged in to see this link., it even shows Alan C complaining about high fees there.

Quite simply put, the organisers need to state exactly what the (high) fees are for and justify them if they are to get more people there. Something that I also read was the fact that Part 3. Entries. Let me quote this: 3.2. In the case of postponment or abandonment of the meeting, all or any part of the the entry fee may be retained by the Promoter, if such a retention is approved by Motorcycling Australia. Simply put you will not get your fees back for a service they did not provide if they deciede to cancel the event or you have to pull out of it, be it your doing or Winton Motor Raceway decision.

Even with the high fees, they require you to even provide a (part 6.4) ...self addressed stamped envelope for conformation of entry.... What they can not afford the 55 cents from the $200.00 plus entry fee.

I am sorry, but this site is here to promote the sport, and I do not see the fee as a great way to promote the sport, or the cost of the shed. You can not have just the $55.00 option, it is either a full shed @ $330.00, or it is half a shed @ $175.00 ((works out to $350.00 for full shed) as listed in part 23.1 of the Sup Regs).

That is my 2 cents on the matter.

Regards,

David
Webmaster & Owner of Classic Motorcycling Australia

Quote: I thought I wanted a career, turns out I just wanted to be paid.
Go to Top of Page

mboddy
Level 2 Member

Australian Capital Territory

26 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2004 :  08:44:06 AM  Show Profile Send mboddy a Private Message  

quote:
Originally posted by David

Even with the high fees, they require you to even provide a (part 6.4) ...self addressed stamped envelope for conformation of entry.... What they can not afford the 55 cents from the $200.00 plus entry fee.

The point of requiring a self addressed envelope is to reduce the administration burden of putting on a race meeting.
Can you not afford the 55 cents?

As far as them not giving the option of splitting the garage up into 6 x $55. Again this reduces the administration overhead.
In PCRA (NSW) we riders get on ok with each other.
One rider hires the garage and the others reinburse him. Simple.

As for entry fees. The best way to reduce them is to get more bikes onto the track. This task should be everyones responsibility and not just a problem for club officials.
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2004 :  08:54:24 AM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

In my experience many riders do share sheds, and I do not know how big they are at Winton but at the Island 3 sidecars would be a crowd and normally they have about 4 solos max. because all their separate gear takes up space. 6 would be a squeese.
I think the biggest problem is the 3 rides that are on offer for the $200, most other meetings there is a minimum of 6 rides for the weekend.

The $200 fee is as much as others would pay at the Southern Classic $125 plus Friday practise $77 total $202, and we[ the committee] promote like hell to get paying spectators to keep it down.
Mind you I dont see the competitors doing much about promotion themselves.
The Island is three days $165, and if you add the $22 MA levy of $22 that comes up to $187.
The bottom line is the promoters be it a club or a private organisaation do need to cover costs and make a profit for the next rainy day.

But the question is do you get the profit from the competitors or the paying crowd. I guess each group paying the money makes up their own minds on the matter.
If you charge $35 at the gate, bad news, if you try and squeeze the competitors, bad news.
Let the market place decide now about the Titles.

John Daley Sidecar #68
' there are those who do, those who dont do and those who undo. We must lampoon the latter."

Edited by - john on 26 Sep 2004 09:36:43 AM
Go to Top of Page

David
Site Administrator

Australia

999 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2004 :  09:00:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit David's Homepage Send David a Private Message  

I am not getting in to a public debate, but I was just pointing out that the fees are way up, and they then expect the rider to supply more money to be told when they can ride when the $200.00 plus entry fee should include the administration costs, or is that money for something else? Prehaps to line someones pocket only...

I know about cost, I put most of it up to run this site and keep it running with only 2 people who have taken up the advertising costs. To keep this site online costs $75.00 per month, and that doesn't include my time to get things happening.

As for the shed, the way Alan C put it, you only need to pay $55.00 for 1 part of the shed.

The entry fees will not be reduced as they are now set in stone so it don't matter how many riders turn up to this meeting, then they will still have to pay the $200.00 plus for the entry.

I notice that you Mark, did not mention anything about the non-refund as the Promoter has included in the Sup Regs. So far it looks like it could be an expensive week-end.

Regards,

David
Webmaster & Owner of Classic Motorcycling Australia

Quote: I thought I wanted a career, turns out I just wanted to be paid.
Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2004 :  6:59:57 PM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

I didn't set or even suggest the fees for the meeting. I have discussed the difference in fees between the PI meeting and the championships, and I believe john has got it right. THe meeting must be commercially viable, and income either comes at the gate or from entry fees.
To bring riders like Ago, Barry Sheene, and those MVs to a meeting the promoter must work eighteen months to two years ahead. Tean Glam will certainly pull a crowd at PI, however can anyone suggest a way to promote the 2004 Championships to the public? I don't believe any promoter operates a charity and will subsidise our sport.
I suggest we should all look at the image of historic racing, if we field grids of ten bikes, and when they race, they are all around the circuit after one lap, we won't get a gate. If we don't get a gate - who is going to pay?

Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2004 :  7:15:02 PM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

P.S. It would help if arragements to hold the Historic Championships were made eighteen months ahead, then something can be done to arrange for features at meetings. Ago was brought out a while back through negotiations with Ken McIntosh and the NZCMRR, however they always work a long way ahead.
I believe that the holders of the championships in the recent past have all said they would never get involved again.
Regardless, I believe this years Championships will be excellent. There has been a lot of interest from NZ and WA, and a lot of guys with 750cc P4 and P5 Brit bikes have said they're coming. There is actually a competitive ride for them at these champs.

Go to Top of Page

Alan
Forum Moderator

Western Australia

353 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2004 :  11:36:22 PM  Show Profile Send Alan a Private Message  

Now for another curly one, Winton are not going to make methanol available according to what I was told today. The supp regs state that we can only have a maximum of 2 20 litre drums per crew, this means that at least one methanol burning sidecar cant come as he usually uses around 50 litres on a club day (3 races) and if he cant buy fuel on Saturday after racing has finished or on Sunday morning on the way to the track what does he do? Ignore the ruling, not ride on Saturday and save his fuel for Sunday or store his fuel in his motel room. I must say I am very surprised that methanol will not be available at the track especially for a three day historic meeting.
Next question being where do people from interstate buy methanol close to Benalla.

Alan Sidecar 21 WA ( premium unleaded for me thanks)
Go to Top of Page

Alan
Forum Moderator

Western Australia

353 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2004 :  11:51:03 PM  Show Profile Send Alan a Private Message  

At most National Championships there has been open practice on the day prior to the event to allow interstate riders a bit of extra practice, is it possible for this to happen at Winton this year?
Can anyone help with a contact close to the track who could supply a fork lift truck to unload our container when it arrives. We would need it there on Thursday to unload and on Sunday to reload it after racing has finished. Obviously we dont mind paying but would like to keep the cost down as much as we can.
Thanks in anticipation.
Alan sidecar 21 WA
Go to Top of Page

Former Member
deleted

120 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2004 :  01:35:27 AM  

The old man got some intersting but not really surprising bit of info over the weekend, seems we should all read chapter 18.2 of MA's bible and find out what the historic commish are meant to do for the aussie titles. it says they have to select the venue, well it seems all the commish members chucked a real wobbly when Ross Martin & co shoved winton at them and never ever agreed to it and reccomended other places but the car club got it anyway. so you gotta ask whats the point of having a commish if they dont really have any say in anything or how did it ever happen and maybe it makes the meeting illegal. then it seems the commish said bears shouldnt run at the aussie titles but MA put them in as well, this came via one of Ross Martins little mates and they are all laughing about how they got there way. we also got told winton has lost its v8 supercar cash cow and is now in trouble and trying to screw money from anyhere to survive. winton should stick to just renting out its little track and MA should turn the clock back just about 1 year when things were running okay. these days its just stuff up after stuff up from MA, something has to give.

Jayne
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2004 :  08:06:37 AM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

Allan, if you read the History of the 2004 Aussie titles, you will see that the planning actually did start a long time ago. Qld was in line to do them and they did not take it up. The HMRAV was asked to prepare a submission well before the 12 month period but after time our committee waited before deciding to continue planning, because of other movements. The Benalla Auto club was asked to put a submission in, as we made our submission. It fact one week or so prior to the annoucement of Benalla Auto Clubs success, Ross Martin asked the HMRAV to submitt a proposal we did resubmit it after a tremendous amount of work, we wanted to run the Southern Classic concurrently, only to be told the decision was already made before we were asked to re submitt.

John Daley Sidecar #68
' there are those who do, those who dont do and those who undo. We must lampoon the latter."

Edited by - john on 28 Sep 2004 12:17:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2004 :  5:54:05 PM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

Alan, If you require a forklift, I suggest you arrange it with Rosco at Wangaratta Cranes on (03) 5722 3570.
This guy has been helping the Winton Motorcycle Club build its motocross track, he will be happy to help you.

Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2004 :  6:06:23 PM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

I've been trying to find a source of methanol for the meeting. In the past I've always bought it at Shell, Bunker Hill at Donnybrook, however I believe they no longer have it. The local Shell Service station in Benalla has suggested we get it from the distribution centre in Wodonga, they reckon they cannot get it themselves, it should be arranged through CAMS. Winton Raceway are reluctant to order it, as the excess cannot be returned, we cannot judge the amounts required, and the excess would probably never be sold.
I'm still trying - any suggestions? I believe what the answer will be is we should find a supplier and establish a pick-up point. You'll probably have to pay in advance by credit card.
Better if you buy it in Melbourne or Sydney and bring it with you.

Go to Top of Page

Alan
Forum Moderator

Western Australia

353 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2004 :  11:06:11 PM  Show Profile Send Alan a Private Message  

Allan as you know I personally mailed copies of all documentation to you at Winton and included in that should have been copies of order forms etc. We did as many organisations before us took orders for methanol from riders and had it on site for them, it was all payed for with their entry form so excess or unused fuel wasnt a problem.
Your comment about bringing it with us is terrific, not sure what Quantas will think though.
Being serious for a minute, we do need to get supplies of methanol for at least half of our competitors and for obvious reasons cant bring it with us.
Surely this has been done in the past for other major events or is it just to hard for the Benalla Auto Club.
Sorry if I sound a bit negative about this but anyone who has travelled would know that purchasing and transporting fuel in a strange area is not always easy.
Alan
Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2004 :  03:03:08 AM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

Alan,
I don't know which airport you are coming into Victoria through, or how you are getting from there to Winton. John Daley mentioned a supplier in Bayswater who is repackaging commercial grade methanol at a reasonable price. If you can stop off there, might be an answer. You would still need to ring there first. If you are coming through Albury/Wodonga, there is a Shell Distribution Centre there. I tried ringing yesterday without success. There is now no distribution centre in Wangaratta, it is apparently all done through Wodonga.
As for your other question. Benalla Auto Club can supply avgas and unleaded. Very few competitors use methanol at Winton these days.

Go to Top of Page

Former Member
deleted

174 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2004 :  09:33:23 AM  

Im in Bayswater if thats any help.
0439 663 554
If you want it I will pick it up for you and could even arrange to put a drum or 3 in a Vic competitors car to get it up there for you.Im at the Island for the Stars meet and cant take it up personally.
Hope this helps.

Its not what you ride,Its how fast you ride it!!!
Go to Top of Page

Former Member
deleted

120 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2004 :  09:46:42 AM  

Alan, most of the guys are saying that the promoter always makes meth available at the aussie titles, winton are either showing there complete incompetence or showing they dont give a crap. and to say that hardly anyone uses meth at winton these days is the same as saying you have totally no idea what sort of meeting you're playing around with, or is it wintons way of sayin piss off to bikes in the future. get your act together.

Jayne
Go to Top of Page

bruce pederick
Level 2 Member

Victoria

27 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2004 :  12:48:20 PM  Show Profile Send bruce pederick a Private Message  

Re Methanol
I have checked with Advance Petroleum (BP)Melbourne Rd Shepparton 03 58 217577 e mail You must be logged in to see this link.

They can supply methanol . They only have 3 20litre drums at present and a couple of 205 litre drums, but can still get more.
My phone is 03 58314114 if I can help
Bruce Pederick

Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2004 :  1:03:59 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

METHANOL IN BAYSWATER
The good juice is available from
Victorian Wholesale Automatic Transmissions
Factory 1/58 Barry St Bayswater
03 9762 8004

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2004 :  1:15:38 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

I can say that the HMRAV has never made Methanol available. We expect everybody to have their own arrangements. If we had an influx of Interstaters I guess we could sort things out with the people listed above.
Perhaps some circuits have arrangements with local suppliers to meet the needs of the Historic Competitors.

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

Alan
Forum Moderator

Western Australia

353 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2004 :  9:31:31 PM  Show Profile Send Alan a Private Message  

All I can say is that I and our members find the methanol situation very disappointing.
I would like to thank all those that have offered advice and help and once I have determined what we need I will try to make arrangements.
The statement that hardly anoyone uses methanol at Winton I find amusing unless there are no Period 2, 3 or 4 bikes racing there, at the championships in WA last year we supplied 30 20 litre drums and 2 205 litre drums totalling 1005 litres and that was a small meeting as Nationals go.
Anyway its probably too late now for Winton to do anything even if they wanted to so we may as well drop this subject except to say that it appears that only Victorians are being catered for. There was no information sheet as is normal for these events to assist people with accommodation, car hire etc etc plus the above fuel debacle.
Lets hope Tasmania does a better job next year.

Alan Sidecar 21 WA
Go to Top of Page

Former Member
deleted

120 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2004 :  12:29:12 AM  

John a couple of guys have called and said that a few years ago when your HMRV ran the titles at winton that meth was arranged for them and that they picked it up at the track. could be that it was your guys just doin it for other interstate guys themselves and not officially your club but it sorta continues to prove that meetings like this should be run by bike clubs where guys care a bit about each other. you could always ask Ross Martin to bung a trailer on the volvo and bring up a few drums.

Jayne
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2004 :  1:30:08 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

Special bits of help like that are the sort of thing the former Secretary Dave Large would have set up. I shall keep that in mind for the Future.

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

Allan
Site Moderator

National

599 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2004 :  4:23:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Allan's Homepage Send Allan a Private Message  

when russel cradick (sri if wrong) he was a fuel agent and always had fuel on his truck for sale to racers remember those days!!now just seems to be up you jack i'm ok

Allan Greening
Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2004 :  6:45:11 PM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

Can anyone give me the phone number of a supplier who would be willing to cooperate, and bring a supply of methanol to the champs ? I met with a dead end the other day when I tried arrange it through Shell.

Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2004 :  8:42:58 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

Try the bloke in Bayswater. 9762 8004 anything you dont sell we could mix with Jim Bean and get rid of on Sat. night!!!

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

Allan
Site Moderator

National

599 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2004 :  10:38:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Allan's Homepage Send Allan a Private Message  

Just ring "SHELL" Aus they have only one phone # for orders and they will let u know where/ who is actual agent for Winton Area Then they Shell will let you know how to order. Nowaday's all racing fuel orders go through shell direct not via agents

Allan Greening
Go to Top of Page

Former Member
deleted

7 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2004 :  8:11:57 PM  

Hi everyone I have been a casual reader here for the last 18 or so months. I work at Winton Raceway I post to many other motor racing forums and work on the admin of one site because I am passionate about motor sport. I was excited with the news that Winton would be holding the 2004 Historic Championships. I am also a member of the Winton Motorcycle Club which is actively taking part in assisting with the organisation of the 2004 championships. I would like to put the record straight, Winton Raceway is run by a Company called Winton Motor Raceway Pty Ltd, Just like at Phillip Island (PI Operations formerly PIMS). The Benalla Auto Club is only the land owner of the circuit. The company has many people involved some car racing people some motorcycle people and manages the day to day operations of the facility, which is basically in use every day of the week. So I believe comments about a Car Club running the meeting are unwarranted.

We deal with all groups in motor racing be it Truck Racers, V8 Supercar, SuperKarts, Superbike, Club level bikes & Cars and recreational bike and car drivers as well as Historic Motorcycle racers. In all of the race meetings we have run over the past forty years I would suggest this one has been the most challenging to organise. From our inquires QLD don’t want the Historic Champs, WA will not ask for them back and a number of other organisations will not touch the championships. I must say they have left a rather sour taste in our mouths as well. Late last year (2003) we were asked to make a submission to MA to run the championships, as MA would have liked to see them at Winton again but without the problems that arose at the 2002 Championships. We where given what prices to charge in terms of entry fees and what the rider levy would be. We where told what date that MA would prefer the meeting to be held on and it was decided mutually to race on the long Winton circuit as most riders had not ridden on it before.

I spoke to a number of riders at Historic Winton in May. I must say I was enthused for the upcoming championships as most riders where very courteous and helpful in the discussions. However these seems to be an element in Historic racing that brings all enthusiasms gained to a grounding halt. This particular element seem hell bent on bring down a meeting that in all regards should be an avenue to promote your section of the sport to new people. The allegations and innuendo being spread when put against the facts hold very little credence. I will attempt to address with the facts.

1. Winton Motor Raceway Pty Ltd was approached by MA to run the race meeting.
2. The entry fee was the suggested fee by MA
3. Winton provided a draft set of regulations in the same format as the Island Classic but was knocked back because the regs where not in MA’s official format. The first draft was submitted some 5 months before the race meeting.
4. Winton Raceway pushed to have the BEARS included for two reasons. Many riders where suggesting that BEARS would be able to give them extra rides at the meeting. This meets our philosophy of giving everyone as much track time as we possible can. The second reasons was that the Stars of Tomorrow meeting was scheduled the same weekend at Phillip Island. Although the categories competing are not the same some riders that would have ridden in the Aus Champs are forgoing their ride for a modern bike at PI. The BEARS supplement the grid to the level suggested to Winton by MA.
5. Garages are normally charged at $175 per pit bay (9m x 4.5m) for both car and bike meetings. A full double garage (9m x 9m) is $350 so the discount is $20 on a full garage and $10 for a half. To give you an idea of size recently the Austin Healey Club locked 7 Healey up in a full garage. Honda Superbike team usually have 6 bikes plus work benches and Data Acquisition gear and promotional gear and it is still fairly roomy.
6. The people that will run the 2004 Championships have run motorcycle events before. They have run Australian Road Racing Championships and the Clerk of Course has a level 4 MA Licence. He has officiated at V8 Supercar meeting and Historic Car Racing meeting in this position as well as is recognised as one of the most qualified in Australia to run race meetings.
7. Storing and usage of Fuel (which is classified as a dangerous good) is and has been in particular in Victoria over the last six weeks been a bone of contention with Worksafe the local authority for OH&S. The issue very much looks like going down the path of fuel only being available from Bowsers at race circuits. Now Winton already has bowsers at the circuit but they do not have the provision for dispensing methanol. The requirement for maximum storage amounts of fuel in the garages comes from Worksafe. However you can store more fuel at the circuit but there are more stringent requirements to do so. The Historic groups both Car & Bike need to serious lobby the particular authorities to manage a future outcome that will not affect Historic Racing. MA despite a lot of people anti MA opinions are they only ones that will give you a voice in these Government forums. You must establish a good working relation with them so you can protect your section of the sport from these outside influences.
8. The Government grant from the Victorian Government for the 6 lane entrance off the Hume Highway totalled $250,000 the cost of the project from memory was over $300,000. The Government paid the Benalla Rural City council $125,000 and The Benalla Auto Club paid the council $125,000 and received $250,000 back from the council. The land is government land, a road reserve of which the Benalla Auto Club holds a long-term lease on. So in essence Winton paid out over half the money for a new local council road, of which Winton was very grateful for.
9. Government involvement, The Victorian Government has set up a strategic task force to leverage the Winton circuit in terms of the local economy. You must be logged in to see this link. If Historic Motorcycles is successful at Winton in November then it well could be considered that a great number of opportunities could be opened up Historic Motorcycles. These are just some of the exciting challenges that Historic Motorcycles should be embracing to take it to where it rightfully deserves.
10. The costs of running race circuits and entry fees. I was very interested to see that the Island Classic meeting entry had not significantly risen in 2005. Since the ownership change Phillip Island circuit hire charges have risen to that of 3 to 4 times other circuits and Sandown circuit hire is believed to almost matched there rates. Many other circuits are looking at following suit as the cost in particular of government compliance has caused race circuit tremendous financial pressure. These circuit hire raises are an indication that if we are not carefully the sport can easily out price itself. So looking at the Island Classic meeting compared to other PI events (and I can’t speak for PI, I can only assume) they are discounting this meeting for the Historic Motorcycling groups. That is particular good for Historic Motorcycling on the surface but if a group relies on a benefactor and the benefactor decides to not continue then it becomes a crises (we have just recently seen this happen with the PROCAR series and Ross Palmer pulling his money out witch was underwriting the whole series and has now caused PROCAR to collapse and now it looks like a whole section of the sport has ceased). If you can run as a going concern to the particular parties of interest then your section of the sport has a healthy future. The trick is of course to balance financial returns against impact on the competitor and spectators so that everyone is happy. I’m not sure what that level should be but MA obvious think that this level is indicative of the future prices that the sport will see over the next period of time.

I guess the reason for my posting is simply to highlight that there are positives in Historic Motorcycling and that the element of discontent and negativity hold too much of a presence. The major stakeholders MA and your Historic commission together with race circuit promoters be it clubs or organisations such as Winton or Phillip Island need to formulate a clear and distinctive way forward for Historic Motorcycles. Historic Motorcycling with all the stories of hardly anyone wants to run the championship need your support more than ever. It needs you to help develop a future and help present a way forward. Alan Cotterell has become almost an ambassador for the race meeting through his association with the Winton Motorcycle Club. But what we need is more ambassador for the Historic region, someone from each group or era to stand up and help get bikes on track not just for this race meeting but for future meetings as well. If you are willing to help out and I will certainly help anyone who does you can contact me on (03) 57664235 or 0438573035 or email matthew.ronke@wintonraceway.com.au

www.motorsportforum.net.au
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums © 2000 - 2024 Go To Top Of Page
This page was put together in 0.98 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 by Classic Motorcycling Australia | Web design by: Greening Computer Services