Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!

Forums  

Advertise with Classic Motorcycling Australia
Advertise with Classic Motorcycling Australia

All Forums
 Classic, Historic & Post Classic Motorcycling
 Future Race Meetings
 2004 Australian Historic Championships
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

Former Member
deleted

120 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2004 :  3:13:24 PM  

Okay, no reponce to neil except to say he needs to change his bait. regards accomadation, we've stayed at the (only?) caravan park in benalla, has good cabins, the worst on site vans u ever seen and tent sites, also stayed at the trekers rest in benalla which is worth a go, its basic but a good place to stay. after that i dunno maybe the viccy boys can help more. pity winton didnt sort this out ages ago.

Jayne
Go to Top of Page

Alan
Forum Moderator

Western Australia

353 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2004 :  6:46:57 PM  Show Profile Send Alan a Private Message  

Neil, I believe the budget place in town is the Trekkers Rest who have accomodation ranging from Backpackers up to rooms with facilities. Some of us WA riders are staying there so the company will be good. The rest have just scoured the internet but I have heard places are getting a bit harder to find so anyone going should book now or sooner.

Alan (just the nice guy)
Go to Top of Page

Alan
Forum Moderator

Western Australia

353 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2004 :  6:52:50 PM  Show Profile Send Alan a Private Message  

Snoozer, I am very interested in some of your comments and rather than air them on here and bore people to death how about we call a truce and have a chat on the phone sometime soon. I will call you so that there is no cost to you and at a time of your convenience so it doesnt cause you any difficulty.
If you are agreeable and want to preserve your privacy you can email me your contact details on warnera@upnaway.com I absolutely promise not to pass on any of your details to anyone if you agree.

Regards
Alan (truly the nice guy)
Go to Top of Page

Former Member
deleted

120 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2004 :  8:57:48 PM  

Alan theres nothing sinister here so theres no need to go underground, we heard that Ross Martin & co we confused that there were 2 voices for classics over in WA, nothing more than that. dunno if its all that important or even true seeing as Ros Martin is involved, the important thing was to tell u so you can fix it if it needs to be.

Jayne
Go to Top of Page

matcho mick
Advanced Member

New South Wales

570 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2004 :  11:06:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit matcho mick's Homepage Send matcho mick a Private Message  

bugger!!the valiums kicked in.
Go to Top of Page

Former Member
deleted

174 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2004 :  03:43:24 AM  

Al,Anne is the lady who looks after us at Trekkers Rest,Was trying to remember her name before I posted it.Came to me at work!!!
Its not a palace by any stretch of the imagination but it definatley worth bunking down at after hard days racing.
Carports are available for the exposed trailer guys.
The BBQ area is good value especially when you get 20-30 racers half cut and the bull**** stories start.Makes for a very funny evening........................................
and some very vicious hangovers are usally followed in the morning!!!
But as the ol saying goes what happens on camp stays on camp.

Trekkers Rest
Kilfeera Road, Benalla, Victoria. 3672.
Telephone/Fax (03) 5762 3535 .
www.trekkersrest.com.au

Its not what you ride,Its how fast you ride it!!!
Go to Top of Page

Alan
Forum Moderator

Western Australia

353 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2004 :  9:02:22 PM  Show Profile Send Alan a Private Message  

The hangover sounds normal how far is the nearest pub or bottle shop?
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2004 :  06:58:57 AM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

1 km and they like everybody to be quite by aboyt 11pm

John Daley Sidecar #68
' there are those who do, those who dont do and those who undo. We must lampoon the latter."

Edited by - john on 11 Oct 2004 07:00:11 AM
Go to Top of Page

Former Member
deleted

10 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2004 :  07:56:41 AM  

To Winton titles organisers you had better do bulk promotion. At our last club round I was trying to see who wanted to share 1/2 a garage and no-one that I spoke to is interested in traveling to winton for 3 races, Ilooks like the Island Classic is becoming our de facto titles
Chris M NSW
Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2004 :  11:34:49 AM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

sorry, i've been incommunicado for a while. I'm in Atherton at the moment, back next Monday.

Is your machine authentic or merely eligible?
Go to Top of Page

Former Member
deleted

7 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2004 :  12:21:29 PM  

Hi everyone good to see Phil Wagner can get the meth Phil is a nice guy and racers a torana and always helps a fellow motorsport enthusiast where he can. Don't worry about the storage problem drop in and see me when you arrive if you have a lot of fuel and I will work it out for you. Chris unfortunately all 40 of the pit lane garages bays are booked already. There are a couple in the support paddock but a few of those have been booked as well, I still believe you can get 4 or 5 bikes in a pit bay so if you like I can try and find someone who has room in there pit bay to share. There are still carports available if people are interested in them. Or I can see about organising a marquee for a group of people as well, anyone interested can call me (03) 57664235.
There is an accommodation guide at You must be logged in to see this link. there are over 100 places to stay within a 45 min drive the closest is on site camping or Winton Rise which overlooks part of the circuit near turn 4 (long track) you will need to phone Tim Vibert on (03) 5722 3346.

www.motorsportforum.net.au
Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2004 :  5:48:28 PM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

Matthew, I'm very pleased that Phil Wagner can get the Methanol. I haven't looked very far back in the messages on this topic. I'd like to mention that Phil runs BP Bridge Street Benalla. Anyone wanting to get methanol should probably give him a ring.

Go to Top of Page

Former Member
deleted

120 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2004 :  11:58:47 PM  

Isnt good to see that a bit pressure in the right places does get some results, now all winton has to do is apologise for screwing all the guys around, dump the bears and put out a race program like any half decent promoter would have done in the first place. also heard that if your mum wants to come and watch you race itll cost her 50 bucks to get in. Alan hurry back winton needs you desparatly.

Jayne
Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2004 :  10:02:03 AM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

I was disappointed to read that some of the guys don't want to race at the Championships because they 'only get three rides'.
Let's do some simple maths - at a normal historic meeting at Winton, you get four, five lap races of two kilometers each (40 racing kilometers).
At the championships you will get three seven lap races of three kilometers each (is that 63 racing kilometers?) Also, if you're not CHICKEN and youve got a pommy/european/amereican bike, you can get about four extra races in the BEARS. I haven'yt even considered the four practice and qualifying sessions.(The above figures apply if you only bring one bike.)
WHAT DO YOU GUYS WANT? I'm getting sick of all the negativity. If you want to race come to the meeting - otherwise stay home!

Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2004 :  5:05:28 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

Al, I reckon it may be best not to stick it up the riders. Calling them CHICKEN is not the way to make friends, particularly if you are a sidecar gentleman, its not a good look with sidecars and BEARS. As for the negativity you may be ading to it and I guess the challenge to race or stay at home may not cause people to clamer into the shed to get the bike going.
PS Did you have a good hoiliday at Atherton?

John Daley Sidecar #68
' there are those who do, those who dont do and those who undo. We must lampoon the latter."
Go to Top of Page

Former Member
deleted

120 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2004 :  9:44:53 PM  

Alan go back on holidays, it wasnt long enough, you more time. seein as we all know your definatly not CHICKEN at last we get to see you ride in the bears. anyway seeing as your the voice of winton its good to see some things confirmed. so u do only get 3 rides unless your not chicken and enter the bears as well, at least weve got an answer, thats better than the crap answer that snotty nosed little matty tried to give, he had it up to 9 rides for all classes. now are you sure the bears will want the classics to enter their secluded little world. considering that the riders at the pointy end of the classics are a lot better than any of the bears riders most of the bears might not qualify, then youd have an even bigger disaster on your hands. or perhaps you need classics to make up the field for the bears, just imagine the national bears series being won by a side valve beeza, do you think it would be a good idea to race a good old bike like that against a current model ducati superbike that cant compete in the real world, well perhaps the bike can. its becoming pretty clear what all the guys want, a well run meeting done by a bike club who know what theyre doin and dont just want to rip everyone off, and guys dont have to stay at home, its a big world out there with a lot more happening than just winton.

Jayne
Go to Top of Page

Alan
Forum Moderator

Western Australia

353 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2004 :  9:55:43 PM  Show Profile Send Alan a Private Message  

Alan you must have got out of bed on the wrong side today.
While we might have seemed a little negative about some of the aspects of this years Nationals maybe a long hard look at what promoters have done in the past compared to what has occurred so far this year would be in order. All most competitors want is a fair go and a little assistance with organising ourselves especially riders from interstate who have enough problems just getting to a race meet without having to try to find out all the details by remote control. If it is too much trouble to organise a meeting why not take your own advice and dont do it, leave it to someone who does really care about the sport.
I dont think the tone of Snoozers replies are called for though.

Alan (back to being the nice guy)
Go to Top of Page

Former Member
deleted

120 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2004 :  11:02:50 PM  

Hey alan, the nice guy, like it or not were both saying the same thing. you know same dog different leg action. fortunately i doubt well have another winton disaster in the future.

Jayne
Go to Top of Page

Former Member
deleted

120 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2004 :  2:04:04 PM  

Now Allan C something just got mentioned to me that i'm pissed off i missed. you've confirmed that the classics will get 3 races over the entire meeting but you've said if theyre not CHICKEN they can get another 4 rides in the bears. so what your now telling us is that the bears get at extra race over the classics at a meeting where they are only really parasites anyway. you idiots at winton really have no idea of what your doing do you. you've probably now made the decision for those guys that were hanging off about entering until they got some idea of the program, you should go into the advertising game. another question i got asked to ask, if these bears things are modern bikes can a classic running on meth legally race against them, i'm told that its illegal to run meth in a modern race. so that might be yet something else you idiots forgot about or maybe you knew it all the time and its just the continuing winton bull****.

Jayne
Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2004 :  2:14:48 PM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

Had a talk to an old historic racer at the Australian HIstoric Motorfest, a couple of weekends ago. His name is Graeme Smith, used to ride a Norton 750 Dommi, and a TZ750 Yamaha. His comment about the Championships was that 'the bikes always come good in the end'. I'm inclined to agree with him. I cannot see the 2004 Historic Championships at Winton being a 'disaster'. If you have a ride there you'll get at least three 21kilometer rides.
Graeme drives a March Formula 5000 these days, and I'm trying to get him to fork out the $300+ dollars for an MA licence again.

Anyway, what I'm saying is - come to the Championships and have a ride. Benalla Auto Club/Winton Motor Raceway is a very competent promoter, and I'm sure their seven permanent employees are all experienced and competent at running meetings. They have actually run bike meetings in the past, including I believe one endurance race, a few years back.
Best Regards,

Go to Top of Page

Former Member
deleted

27 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2004 :  6:59:52 PM  

Nice to hear that BAC has the expertise to run a bike meeting. My memory seems to recall with respect to the past that BAC supplied the infrastructure for the endurance race and the SCRCV ran the meeting. I remember implying to a certain distributor backed team that maybe there bikes were not quite in the spirit of a production racer! I too think that it is a pity that the Historics are getting screwed over for the Bears when it is promoted as the Aust Historic Champs, and you can see a Ducati superbike at any race meeting.
Go to Top of Page

Former Member
deleted

120 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2004 :  7:32:54 PM  

Wintons efforts at running bike endurance races has hit a few raw nerves, apparently not so long back the winton idiots were gonna run a six hour or something and lots of guys got ready for it and bought stuff and all, then a few days before it they cancelled it to let cars run, but then it is a car club. alan c are you really on the side of winton or not. people cant understand why your bringing up all the proof that continues to prove that the winton idiots are incompetent, keep it coming. still cant over the fact that the parasite bears are getting more races than the classics at there own national titles. you might even see the refund demands start happening now.

Jayne
Go to Top of Page

David
Site Administrator

Australia

999 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2004 :  7:35:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit David's Homepage Send David a Private Message  

Read the fine print Jayne. They will not give out a refund if you cancel...

Regards,

David
Webmaster & Owner of Classic Motorcycling Australia

Quote: I thought I wanted a career, turns out I just wanted to be paid.
Go to Top of Page

Alan
Forum Moderator

Western Australia

353 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2004 :  10:33:43 PM  Show Profile Send Alan a Private Message  

Snoozer, you keep missing the point your self. I only said the tone of your replies leaves a lot to be desired not the actual content. If you really do wish to be taken seriously tone it down and that will happen.
Other than that keep the comments coming.
Alan Sidecar21 WA
Go to Top of Page

steve
Level 2 Member

Queensland

86 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2004 :  9:54:06 PM  Show Profile Send steve a Private Message  

Hi All
I've got no problems at all with the BEARS it just means more races, you can go in as many as you want, You can get up to 7-8 races for a Post Classic!! Where other meetings your flat out getting 3-4 over the week-end. but if you had a Classic 350cc or 500cc you would get 3 or 4 times that. & Snoozer the Champs are going ahead anyway if you don't like the set-up DONT GO!! I didn't like how Winton got it or should I say "Vic" again!! So I'm saving my money to go else where.
Steve
Go to Top of Page

Alan
Forum Moderator

Western Australia

353 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2004 :  10:19:12 PM  Show Profile Send Alan a Private Message  

Steve you are obviously missing the point over Bears. Historic bikes are being short changed to allow the support class of Bears to run. Sure if you have a Bears eligible bike you get extra rides but what about the others? Bears eliminates Jap bikes and of course my particular interest, sidecars, and as the programme these days relies heavily on Jap bikes the majority suffers for the benefit of the minority. The only real winner is the promoter who gets the added advantage of more entries and the cross over fee for those that run their Historics in Bears. Serious competitors wont run with Bears anyway as they will want to save their bikes for the Championship races.
Alan Sidecar 21 WA
Go to Top of Page

Geoffpgrant
Level 3 Member

South Australia

204 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2004 :  9:14:25 PM  Show Profile Send Geoffpgrant a Private Message  

All right I am going to buy into this discussion without having read the many pages which go before so excuse me if I have missed something or repeat something. I am one of the competitors who is NOT going to the National at Winton. First reason is that I could not get confirmation that the meeting was actually going to happen until it was too late to plan my travel and other events. My budget does not allow me to do everything I want to so with such late organisation of the meeting I committed to other events so that I had some certainty about what I was doing. BUT I am glad I did that because it simply is not worth the effort and expense for just 3 rides at the Nationals! And no, I cannot run my sidecar in the BEARS to get extra rides.
Like some of the others I cannot understand why this meeting includes the BEARS especially after it was reduced to two days (from the normal 3 days for Nationals). If the meeting allowed for at least 4 rides along with the BEARS it would not have been so bad but to lose races to what is clearly just a grab for money is a pill I cannot swallow. I need value for money when I spend my hard earned to go racing and this meeting does not offer that!

Geoff
Sidecar #30
Go to Top of Page

Alan
Forum Moderator

Western Australia

353 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2004 :  9:25:45 PM  Show Profile Send Alan a Private Message  

Geoff, you havent missed anything by not reading all of the previous messages and your observations are correct regarding value for money and the inclusion of Bears. The only reasons the WA contingent are going are because contrary to some misguided beliefs we will apply to hold another championship and we believe that to gain support you should also give it, secondly it is my belief that it is best to try to change things from within rather than boycotting or complaining in the background and finally it is alwas a great feeling to be part of a major event and to mix with fellow competitors from around Australia. One thing that no rule book , promoter or controlling body can take away from us Historic Racers is our fellowship and the camaraderie that we enjoy.
By the way I was the Suzuki outfit following you at the last Mallalla Championships, slow down next time and give me a chance.
Alan Sidecar21
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2004 :  08:52:37 AM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

Just one point Geoff, the meeting is over three days and Alans request for you to slow down goes for us as well!!

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

David
Site Administrator

Australia

999 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2004 :  3:30:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit David's Homepage Send David a Private Message  

Nah Geoff, go fast... Alan & John, go faster...

The 3 days are at the extra cost for the practice.

Regards,

David
Webmaster & Owner of Classic Motorcycling Australia

Quote: I thought I wanted a career, turns out I just wanted to be paid.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums © 2000 - 2024 Go To Top Of Page
This page was put together in 0.92 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 by Classic Motorcycling Australia | Web design by: Greening Computer Services